Summer Waste FAQs 2021
What waste services are provided to residents and visitors?
- Weekly Organics (green lid) collection
- Fortnightly Recycling (yellow lid) collection
- Fortnightly Landfill (red lid) collection
- Waste facilities at Wonthaggi, Grantville and Cowes are open seven days per week, and Inverloch Saturday to Monday. Please visit our website for opening times and disposal fees: www.basscoast.vic.gov.au/wastefacilities
How often are public bins being collected?
- Public bins are emptied at least four times a week during the summer period and more frequently in identified high-traffic areas
- For enquiries about public bins or your kerbside collection please contact Wonthaggi Recyclers on (03) 5672 1933
- For other waste management enquiries please contact Council’s Waste Services Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211
My landfill (red) bin is overflowing, what can I do?
- Upgrade your red landfill bin from a 120 litre to a 240 litre bin for $55.81 per financial year
- Have a look at what is filling up your red landfill bin and check if it is in the right bin:
- All food waste should go in your green organics bin
- Paper towel and tissues can also go in your green organics bins
- Recyclable items such as paper or cardboard, cans, cartons and glass or plastic bottles go in the yellow recycling bin.
- Soft plastics such as plastic bags and packaging can be taken to Coles or Woolworths and put in their soft plastic recycling bins (Red Cycle)
- To help understand what bin to use, ‘Which bin do I use’ cards can be downloaded from www.basscoast.vic.gov.au/waste or contact us and we will post you one
- You can take your red landfill bin waste to one of Council’s Transfer Stations for $6.50 for a 120 litre bin or $13 for a 240 litre bin
- If Council's standard kerbside collection service doesn't meet your waste management requirements, there are many private waste contractors who service our region
Can I take excess waste to the Transfer Station?
- For landfill waste the fee is $6.50 for a 120 litre bin or $13 for a 240 litre bin at any of Council’s Transfer Stations
- Excess household recycling can be taken to any of Council’s Transfer Stations free of charge
I own a holiday house. How can I help tenants use the correct bins?
- Make sure you provide educational information for your guests explaining how to use Bass Coast's three bin system.
- Have three internal bins that clearly reflect the three bin system - have one bin clearly labelled ‘Recycling’ in yellow - showing what can go in it, have another bin labelled ‘Landfill’ in red and your kitchen caddy can be labelled ‘Organic’ in green.
- Ensure educational signage is on the internal and external bins.
- Educational material is available at any Customer Service Centre or Visitor Information Centre and can also be downloaded from: basscoast.vic.gov.au/waste
Where can I get a copy of Council’s bin calendar?
- Calendars can be viewed on Council’s website basscoast.vic.gov.au/bincalendar or collected from Council’s Customer Service and Visitor Information Centres, Transfer Stations and some local general stores and post offices
- We’ve opted not to deliver calendars in the mail because many go unused, sit in mailboxes and some even become litter. By moving to single page calendars and only posting on request, we are reducing our environmental and economic impact by saving on paper, postage, waste and delivery miles
- If you’d like to receive a copy in the mail please give us a call on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211
Where can I get more green kitchen caddy liners?
- You can pick up a free replacement roll of the green compostable caddy liners from any of Council’s Customer Service and Visitor Information Centres
- Caddy liners can also be collected from Wonthaggi Transfer Station, Grantville Transfer Station and Inverloch Transfer Station - please note that caddy liners are not available from Cowes Recycling Bank. Customers can collect caddy liners from the temporary Customer Service Centre in Cowes - located within the Phillip Island Nature Parks office located at 154-156 Thompson Avenue (currently open from 10am - 3pm weekdays)
- Some supermarkets stock a range of compostable bin liners - only liners in the same bright green and carrying the Australian Standard code of AS4736 are accepted in your kerbside organics bin
- You can use a bucket, tub or bowl for your kitchen scraps and toss them straight into your green bin - you don't have to use caddy liners in your kerbside organics bin
But I have more questions!
- If you have an enquiry about public bins or your kerbside collection you can contact Wonthaggi Recyclers on (03) 5672 1933 – for all other waste enquiries please contact Council’s Waste Services Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.