We offer a 240L Recycling bin as part of kerbside collection service, there are also a number of free and low-cost recycling options offered at Council's Waste Facilities.
- Plastic - rigid containers including milk cartons, cream bottles, soft drink bottles, detergent containers, clean chemical containers, biscuit trays, shampoo bottles, spray bottles and yoghurt containers
- Glass bottles, jars, sauce bottles and container Aluminium including cans, foil pie dishes etc
- Metal - All steel food cans eg. soup, pet food, baby food and any empty aerosol cans
- Paper - Paper items including cardboard, newspapers, magazines, telephone books, cards etc
All of these items should be placed loose in your bin. Do not bundle papers or put recyclables in plastic bags, as they will be sent to landfill.
Contamination is one of the biggest problems associated with recycling. Any non-recyclables in your bin that are emptied into the truck can contaminate the entire truckload.
To prevent this, the follow items can't be disposed of in recycling bins:
- Polystyrene and foam products
- Syringes - sharps containers can be collected from Council free of charge
- Plastic bags, food wrappers and soft plastics such as plastic wrap. These can be recycled at Coles and Woolworths
- Household waste
- Broken glass or glass from windows, mirrors, pyrex and broken ceramics
- Clothes, shoes or any other fabric materials
- Children’s toys
- Liquids including paint and oil
- Timber or building materials
- Sheet plastic
- Electronic equipment
- Batteries - Lithium, car and household batteries can be dangerous and have the potential to cause harm or damage if disposed of in your kerbside bins. They can cause an explosions or fire, even after they enter landfill. The best way to dispose of your old batteries is to take them to your nearest transfer station - its free! Household batteries can be recycled at your local Aldi store
Yes, there is the option to have an additional 240L bin. There is a fee of a $100.11 for 2018/19 financial year. For more information or to arrange an additional bin, please contact our Waste Services Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.
You can deposit a number of recyclable products free of charge at any of Council's Waste Facilities. These are located in Wonthaggi, Inverloch, Grantville and Cowes.
Recyclables you can dispose of free of charge include:
- Scrap metal- aluminium, steel, white goods, large and small appliances
- Car bodies - must be free of tyres, oil, fuel and gas tanks (not accepted at Inverloch or Cowes)
- Glass - bottles, jars, most other types of glass (no window or mirror glass)
- Plastic - bottles and containers
- Paper and cardboard - newspaper, milk cartons, office paper, cardboard (packaging and strapping must be removed)
- Fluorescent light globes and tubes
- Used motor oil - up to 20 litres
- Batteries - household (including Lithium) and vehicle - batteries can be dangerous and have the potential to cause harm or damage if disposed of in your kerbside bins. They can cause an explosion or fire, even after they enter landfill
- Empty paint tins - scraped clean
- Garden and garage equipment - metal tools, lawn mowers
- Paint - Wonthaggi only. Limit of 50 Litres
You can dispose of a number of e-waste products free of charge, including:
- All televisions, such as CRTs, Plasma, LCD and projection televisions
- Personal computers and parts, such as internal hard drives, motherboards, cards, internal power supplies, CPUs, DVD and CD drives
- Laptops, notebooks, palmtops and tablets
- Computer monitors and peripherals, such as mice, keyboards, joysticks, game pads, scanners and web cameras
- Mobile phones are accepted free of charge - look for the 'mobilemuster' deposit box located at each of the transfer stations and the landfill
E-waste Products accepted at $5.00 per item include:
- Game consoles, such as Microsoft XBoxes or Sony Playstations
- Video recorders
- DVD players
- Radios or stereos
- Universal power supplies
For more information regarding the disposal of e-waste, please contact the Waste Management Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.