My Kerbside Bin is Full - What can I do?
Be a Good Sort!
Make sure your waste is being sorted appropriately to get the most out of your three bin system. Our bin audits consistently show that up to 40% of what we throw into our red Landfill bins doesn't actually belong in landfill.
Using bins inside your home or holiday houes in colours that match your kerbside bins makes it easy to sort waste appropriately at the point of disposal. There are many different styles of coloured internal bins available so choose the right style for your home. Visit our Be A Good Sort! Provide Coloured Internal Bins page for inspiration!
- All food waste should go in your green Organics bin
- Paper towel and tissues can go in your green Organics bin
- Recyclable items such as paper or cardboard, cans and glass or plastic bottles go in the yellow Recycling bin
- Pizza boxes can go into your green Organics bin
- Soft plastics such as plastic bags and packaging can be taken to Coles or Woolworths and put in their soft plastic recycling bins (REDcycle) *REDcycle soft plastics recycling service has been suspended from 9 November 2022 - see www.redcycle.net.au for details*
Not sure which bin to use? Visit our 'Which Bin Does THAT Go In?' page!
Upsize or Order Another Bin
To arrange an upsize or additional bin, please contact our Waste Services Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211 or lodge a request online.
Owners of properties that receive a kerbside bin collection have the option to:
- Upsize their 120 litre Landfill (red) bin to a 240 litre Landfill bin – $98.42 for 2022/23 financial year
- Order a second Recycling (yellow) bin – $102.04 for 2022/23 financial year
- Order a second Organics (green) bin - $128.94 for 2022/23 financial year
Landfill (red) bins are capped at a maximum of 240L per rateable property to encourage diversion of waste from landfill.
Additional bins are subject to Council approval, with a maximum of six bins per rateable property. Requests for additional bins will be considered on a case-by-case basis, and will take into account whether there is sufficient space to store additional bins at the property and to safely present the bins on the kerbside.
The property owner's approval must be obtained for upsized and/or additional bins, as annual fees apply and will appear on the applicable property's Valuation and Rates Statement.
Dispose of Excess Waste at Council's Waste Facilities
- It’s free to take your excess Recycling waste to any of our Waste Facilities.
- Take your excess Landfill bin waste to any of our Waste Facilities:
- $7 for a 120 litre bin
- $14 for a 240 litre bin
- Visit www.basscoast.vic.gov.au/wastefacilities for opening hours and fees.
Engage a Private Waste Contractor
If Council's standard kerbside collection service cannot meet your waste management requirements, there are many private waste contractors who service our region.
These businesses are provided as information only. Please do your own research to decide what is best for your circumstances. Council does not accept any liability should anything arise from using one of these businesses.
- Bass Coast Rubbish Removal and Bin Hire - 0412 088 454
- Bass Highway Waste - (03) 5678 8994 or 0407 828 757
- Cleanaway - (03) 5133 6872
- JJ's Waste & Recycling (03) 5662 3287
- Phillip Island Waste and Recycling - 0417 598 968
- SITA Environmental Solutions - (03) 8795 2000
- Wheel-A-Waste - (03) 5672 2056
Do you know of a business providing Waste Management services in Bass Coast that is not on this list? Please send an email to email@example.com and we’ll update this webpage.