Skip to main content

Roads and Pathways

Bus stops and bus shelters

Councils are a small player in public transport. Public transport services are delivered by Public Transport Victoria (PTV). Our role is to provide advice in relation to placement of certain infrastructure.

Generally, provision of a bus stop, including an approved school bus stop and any shelter, is the responsibility of Public Transport Victoria (PTV). . PTV installs bus stops and other transport network infrastructure to their own requirements. We encourage residents to head to the PTV website to lodge the request for additional infrastructure directly.

Bus Stop Improvements

DoT (Department of Transport) are improving various bus stops in Bass Coast. The location of affected stops are listed below.

We understand the works will involve minor changes to make it easier to get on and off the bus.

Locations of bus stops to be improved;

Brown St Wonthaggi

Bass Highway Wonthaggi

White Rd North Wonthaggi

Panorama Dr San Remo

20 Woolamai Grove San Remo

23 Cleeland St Newhaven

Phillip Island Rd Rhyll

Gap Rd Cowes

Thompson Ave Cowes

Settlement Rd Cowes.

Any enquiries can be directed to

Faisal Alshamrani, MIEPOL Pty Ltd

Unit 103, 46 Graingers Road, West Footscray 3012,

Ph: (03) 9364 7345 I Mob: 0450 899 191,


Dust Management Strategy

In August 2013, Council adopted a management strategy which will be implemented until the roads can be upgraded.

This management strategy focuses on:

•the better performing roads which are appropriate for resealing

•setting clear intervention criteria for returning unsealed surfaces to the roads as they continue to deteriorate

Dust - Are unsealed roads a health hazard?

In 2020 the Assessments and Advice Environmental Public Health team at Environment Protection Authority (EPA) Victoria reviewed the product sourced for road making at Bass Coast. The assessment concluded the health risk to residents from occasional exposure to road dust would be considered low.

The material used for road making is applied following relevant guidelines so that it should not affect the health and amenity of residents during road construction or maintenance activities.

When roads are more frequently used such as long weekends and school holiday periods road dust volumes can increase.

The EPA Victoria provide the following information about airborne dust on their website

About airborne dust | Environment Protection Authority Victoria (

Dust is a common air pollutant that reduces air quality. It is mostly soil particles that get into the air. Dust can come from soil through dust storms, construction sites, unpaved roads and other sources. Dust particles can be different sizes. Larger particles, called ‘coarse’ dust, generally can’t enter the lungs. Smaller particles, or ‘fine’ dust, are easier to breathe in and more likely to reach the lungs. This dust is more likely to impact human health.

Most airborne dust is coarse and doesn’t pose a serious risk to human health if breathed in. However, some community members and people with existing health issues may be at risk from breathing in airborne dust. This includes, people with asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, heart disease, babies and young children and older people. Anyone that airborne dust impacts may experience allergic reactions, asthma attacks, or serious problems breathing. Long-term exposure to dust can increase people's chances of getting heart or lung diseases.

During period of high dust, the following strategies may keep you safe:

  • Stay indoors, with windows and doors closed.
  • Even when you must go outside, spend as little time outdoors as possible.
  • Avoid high impact exercise, especially if you have asthma or another respiratory (breathing related) condition.
  • Use air conditioners if possible and safe. Make sure to clean filters often.
  • When driving, pull over when you can’t see more than 100 metres in front of you. Turn your vehicle’s air intake to ‘recirculate’. This means air won’t come in from outside.
  • The Department of Health advises dust can impact water in tanks. People with water tanks should install a ‘first-flush diverter’.

People who have asthma or other breathing related conditions should follow their treatment plans if they experience shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing or chest pain. People worried about their symptoms should contact their doctor or call NURSE-ON-CALL on 1300 606 024. Anyone who experiences symptoms they believe may be due to airborne dust should also seek medical advice.

Dust Signage

Historically “Speed Means Dust” signs have been installed on some unsealed roads. However, these signs have not been very effective in the past in changing driver behaviour.

Unfortunately, with bad driver behaviour, some drivers choose to disregard any type of warning device.

Police enforcement is the most effective way to resolve any bad driving behaviour. One way for you to assist when people are observed driving inappropriately, if possible, is to record the date and time, any registration number, colour and make of the offender’s vehicle. Report them to the police for their consideration of increasing enforcement in the area. Visit Crimestoppers

Dust Suppression

Effectively, dust supression seals are a costly, short term solution, and we now have better long-term alternatives.

From 2005-2007 we trialed a dust suppressant program. One of the products trialed was a primer seal treatment. This treatment involved a sprayed bituminous binder with the application of stone being applied to the road. This makes the road look like a standard sealed road; however in most cases, they do not perform in the same way. Over the long term they are costly to maintain and are only a short term solution to manage dust.

When the primer seal treatment was applied, it was done so without strengthening the road’s pavement, improving the drainage or applying a final seal to the surface. This work would need to be done to construct a road to a sealed standard.

Some of the dust suppressant roads treated with a primer seal have deteriorated significantly and proactive action now needs to be taken to keep the roads both safe and cost effective to maintain.

Hooning Drivers

Our staff meet regularly with the local traffic police, and discuss whether traffic management devices or changes in speed limits should be considered.

Unfortunately, with bad driver behaviour, some drivers choose to disregard any type of warning device.

Police enforcement is the most effective way to resolve any bad driver behaviour. One way for you to assist when people are observed driving inappropriately, if possible, is to record the date and time, any registration number, colour and make of the offender’s vehicle. Report them to the police for their consideration of increasing enforcement in the area. Visit crimestoppers .

Heavy Vehicle National Law

The Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) is managed by the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and South Australia.

The NVNL affects the way heavy vehicles access the national road network including the way they apply for access to local roads within Bass Coast. Heavy vehicle operators must apply to the NHVR for a permit to travel on our local roads. All requests for heavy vehicle access to the local road network go to NHVR and may be referred to us for consent.

For further information contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 MYNHVR (696 487) or email

No Parking Signs

Council’s Asset Management Team reviews traffic movements and parking regulations continually to ensure best circulation of parking in business and industrial areas, safety for our community in high traffic areas and to ensure appropriate traffic movements and flows. There are more cars using localised roads and parking spaces in Bass Coast than ever before. Council faces the challenges of keeping our community safe, whilst ensuring industrial areas able to operate.

We often receive requests from factory owners advising that truck drivers are unable to service factories due to parked vehicles preventing the use of the driveways. Council will undertake a review of access requirements and install No Parking signs on streets in industrial areas where truck drivers are unable to service the factories.

A ‘No Parking’ sign means:

A driver must not stop a length of road where a no parking sign applies, unless the driver is dropping off or picking up, passengers or goods. The driver cannot leave the vehicle unattended and must complete the stop within 2 minutes.

These changes are based on vehicle turning movements so that space is available for trucks to access factories and enable appropriate traffic movement for vehicles entering or exiting industrial areas.

Property owners and tenants have a right of access to a road, and to be able to use it. On-street parking spaces are a public resource, but are secondary to property access.

In line with this, the restrictions proposed will provide access to the properties, while retaining as much public parking as possible. This parking is shared among a variety of people, including residents, visitors, businesses and workers in the Bass Coast.

Council understands the changes in parking restrictions will involve people having to make changes, and that it may take some time for people to adjust.


Footpaths along an arterial road are our responsibility.

We are committed to improving the path network across Bass Coast. We acknowledge that there is still a lot of work to do. There are areas in Bass Coast that were developed many years ago when the standard of the day did not require the developers to include footpaths in the new subdivisions. This is not the case now with new urban subdivisions.

When new sub-divisions are constructed there is a process to determine the community infrastructure that the Developer is required to construct. This does sometimes result in gaps in our footpath network that is then either addressed through Council funded projects or further developer contributions.

There are currently about $40 million worth of footpath and bike path construction works that have been identified as highly desirable across Bass Coast, with only $300,000 to $400,000 available in each annual budget.

All footpath requests are evaluated and prioritised using strict criteria considering safety, site factors, environment, users and funding.

In 2016 following community consultation, Council adopted an Aspirational Pathways Plan to fill the gaps in pathways around Bass Coast. The Plan has identified 53 aspirational paths that have not been built, and are not currently on any work plans.

Council has since adopted a prioritisation tool in conjunction with the development of Active Bass Coast 2018-28. An overland off road path connecting Inverloch and Wonthaggi has been identified as the highest priority pathway in Bass Coast.

Road maintenance – Who is Responsible?

There are a number of road managers in Bass Coast. DoT (Department of Transport) and Bass Coast Shire Council are responsible for most of the roads within Bass Coast. DoT is the Responsible Authority for arterial roads. The Maps on Councils website show DoT roads in pink, our roads in grey and ‘other’ local roads in orange.

An arterial road provides a principal route for the movement of people and goods and links activity centres in rural and metropolitan areas providing a safe, efficient and integrated road transport system for the economic and social benefit of the community. DoT arranges for freeways and arterial roads to be upgraded as necessary. You can report your safety concerns to RRV using the Regional Roads Victoria website.

DoT is also the Responsible Authority for assessing and approving any changes at the intersection of local roads with arterial roads.

We are responsible for most of the local roads, including intersections, as shown on the Bass Coast Shire Council Maps on Councils website. We are the best point of contact for any concerns along local roads.

The condition of our local roads is being monitored regularly. The overall condition of the road network managed by Bass Coast has been improving year by year due to strategic investment and preventative maintenance. Wel inherited a legacy of unsealed roads from old residential estates, developed many years ago when the standard of the day did not require the developers to include roads or footpaths in new subdivisions. Council dedicates a significant amount of its annual budget to bringing all roads across Bass Coast up to an acceptable standard.

Is it a DoT (Department of Transport) or Council road?

If you want to report an issue with a road and aren't sure whether to report it to DoT (Department of Transport) or Council, this map will help direct your call.

Road Spray Sealing program

You may have seen our Maintenance team or Contractors undertaking some maintenance work on your street. Works may include crack sealing (using a hot bituminous spray to fill in cracks), shoulder and verge repairs, road patching works, clearing of open drains or kerb replacement. Sometimes these works are specific and targeted preparation for Councils Annual Road Spray Sealing program.

With age, the road surface, made of bitumen, becomes more porous. Water may get into the underlying road pavement affecting its structure. Our Annual Spray Sealing program aims to re-surface roads before surface and structural damage occurs. These works are important and ensure the quality of the road is sustained, so expensive repairs can be avoided.

What is a spray seal?

A spray seal involves the coating of the existing road surface with one or more layers of bitumen and rolling a layer of stone into the surface. It is quite common that a spray seal will be applied to a road even when there used to be an asphalt road. The best treatments are considered on a case by case scenario. This type of road surfacing can be affected by inappropriate driver behaviour particularly within the first six months of the seal being applied. In particular, vehicles can cause damage to the surface when wheels are turned while your vehicle is stationary or if you accelerate too quickly.

We ask that you take care when entering and exiting your property and also when accelerating. Driving carefully will help ensure that the surface remains in a good condition. We thank you for your co-operation and understanding during the resealing works.

Why are there loose stones left on my street?

It is normal for a spray sealed road to shed some stone or aggregate in the first few days after application. The sealing process includes sweeping the surface, generally within a couple of weeks.

Why is a newly sealed road surface rougher than before?

Before resurfacing, the original surface may have become worn. The road starts to have a smooth appearance because the aggregates are polished by the action of the traffic over time. The new surfacing applied to the road is designed to restore the right amount of surface texture. The spray seal will settle within months of traffic as the aggregates bed into the bitumen.

Speed Limit Changes

We receive a significant number of community requests for speed reductions each year. Council is responsible for applying to DoT (Department of Transport) to change speed limits on Council managed roads. For changes to speed limits on the State managed, arterial road network, we can advocate on the community’s behalf.

We will refer to the Traffic Engineering Manual – DoT's Speed Zoning Guidelines that sets speed limits consistently and credibly across Victoria.

Typically, a request to review a speed limit takes between 18 months and two years to process. Demonstrated community support is essential for any proposal to be successful. Council requires support from the affected community before applying for a change in speed limits.

The process includes:

  • Initial investigation and application of standards.
  • Traffic data collection.
  • Consent from transport stakeholders.
  • Community consultation.
  • Presentation of a proposal to DoT (Department of Transport).
  • DoT approval process.
  • Ordering, delivery and installation of speed signage.
Speed signs

The Department of Transport approves speed limits in Victoria in accordance with its speed limit guidelines, to implement speed limits credibly and consistently across the state.

Speed limit signs display the maximum speed allowed. It is not a target to reach or a suggestion. Drivers should drive safely and in accordance with the condition of the road.

Speeds limit signage is defined in Victorian legislation as Major Traffic Control Items. Each sign must be approved by the Department of Transport. When speeds limit signage is installed the Department of Justice must also be notified. We cannot ‘just install’ a speed sign.

Speed limit signs aren’t displayed on all Victorian roads. Partly because they clutter the street scape and can cause confusion for motorists. Where signs are not displayed, a default speed limit is always in effect. These are 50km/h in built up areas and 100km/h elsewhere.

VicRoads advises drivers: ‘As high pedestrian and cyclist activity occurs in built-up areas, you should consider travelling at a speed well below the maximum speed limit.’

100 km/h is the default speed limit along all rural roads outside built-up areas throughout the State. Rural roads are generally unsigned and encourages motorists to drive to the conditions of the road, taking into consideration the physical characteristic of the road, prevailing weather, traffic conditions and driver’s experience.

To view the default speed limits provided by VicRoads, click on the link below.

VicRoads - Default Speed Limits

Advisory signs

Typically, advisory signs are used to identify and warn drivers of isolated hazards such as a crest or sharp bend. There are standards for using these signs, again to create consistency and credibility across Victoria. We will assess any request for such signs against the standards. Advisory signs are not used as an alternative speed management device across a long stretch of road or a full length of road.

Speeding cyclists on shared paths

We have installed signage on shared paths indicating both pedestrian and cyclists are able to use the paths together. The Victorian Bike Law produced by the Victorian Law Foundation provides guidelines that cyclists should adhere to. The Bike Law includes specific advice and tips about behaviour on shared paths that include slowing down, ringing your bell and making sure there is enough space for pedestrians when overtaking. We find that the majority of shared path users will ride to the conditions and naturally adhere to these guidelines. Police have the power to charge cyclists for offences, such as dangerous or reckless riding on the road. Please report any dangerous behaviour to the Police who may be able to assist with enforcement.

Sight lines - I cannot see approaching vehicles when turning out of my street. What can I do?

Please contact us when sight lines are a concern and you cannot see approaching vehicles.

A site investigation will be conducted and assessed against the relevant guidelines and Australian Standards for sight line requirements. If an issue is identified, treatments will be considered in line with the appropriate guidelines. Treatments may range from vegetation trimming; parking restrictions; warning and advisory signage and speed limit reviews. Traffic management or infrastructure changes may also be considered.

Appropriate funds need to be secured for any new infrastructure. Funding is provided through our annual budget process. During this process projects will compete with many other projects having their own priorities and concerns. Project funding cannot be guaranteed for any particular year. All projects remain on the Capital Works list for annual funding consideration by Council until completed.

Traffic around the school during drop off and pick up times

The streets around most of our schools become highly congested on school days during the drop off and pick up periods.

Managing school related traffic can be a very complex and difficult matter with the competing demands of residents, parents and through traffic needing to be balanced.

We will work with the school, school council and local community to seek the appropriate balance.

We primarily manage these issues through parking restrictions, school crossings and capital works improvements where needed. All capital works are subject to funding considerations.

There is a lot that the community can do to help. Parking away from schools and walking the final leg, or even looking to stagger pick up times, will help avoid the busy peak periods.

The health and environmental benefits of walking or riding to school are significant factors for our community. We are happy to work with our schools to help improve and encourage the take up of healthy forms of getting to school, even for only part of the journey.

Traffic light faults

Traffic lights in Bass Coast are the responsibility of DoT (Department of Transport). Lights at pedestrian crossings are our responsibility.

Please report any traffic light faults to DoT on 131170, or for general queries phone 131171.

You can report any faults or operational concerns at pedestrian crossings to Councils Customer Service team. See details for contacting us below.