Skip to main content

Rates & Payments

Make a payment for:

You can also use the credit card authority form below to make a payment

The rates revenue we collect is used to provide facilities for the enjoyment and safety of the whole community. For information on the current budget, including services, new initiatives and rate comparisons with other Gippsland Councils, visit the Budget section of our website.

Paying your Rates

When do you pay your rates?

Annual rate notices are sent to ratepayers in July/August each year.

Rates and charges can be paid by:

  1. A lump sum paid on or before 15th February 2019
  2. Four instalments paid on or before the following dates:
    • 30 September 2018
    • 30 November 2018
    • 28 February 2019
    • 31 May 2019

PLEASE NOTE: If you choose to pay your rates via instalments, you must ensure the first instalment is paid in full by the due date (30 September 2018) to receive reminder notices.

How can you pay your rates?

Credit card

You can pay your rates by credit card 24 hours a day by calling 1300 300 408 or via our secure payment service with National Australia Bank. You will need to quote the reference number shown on your rate notice and have your credit card with you.


Payments can be made directly from your cheque, savings or credit card account using BPAY. Please contact your bank if you are unsure whether you have BPAY set up on your account.


Cheques should be made payable to 'Bass Coast Shire Council'. Detach the payment slip on the bottom of your rates notice and send to Bass Coast Shire Council, PO Box 118, WONTHAGGI, 3995. If you need a receipt, please ask for one when you send your payment.

In person

Payment can be made at any of Council’s Customer Service Centres by cash, cheque, credit card or EFTPOS. You can also pay your rates in person at any Australia Post Office, by telephone on 13 18 16 or on the POSTbillpay website.

For more information call our Rates team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278).

How are my rates calculated?

General rates are calculated by multiplying the valuation of the property by the rate in the dollar applicable to your property.

For more information, please contact the Revenue office on 1300 226 278.

Details of your properties valuation are displayed on your rate notice.

For more information, you can visit the Local Government Website.

Payment arrangements

If you are unable to pay your Council rates and charges by the due date, you can apply to have a suitable payment arrangement put in place.

For more information, please contact the Revenue Services team on 1300 226 278.

Electronic Payments - eNotices

Your rates notice can now be sent electronically via eNotices. This allows all your rate notices to be sent straight to your nominated email address.

Sign up to eNotices today via or, for more information, please contact our Revenue Services Team.

Advising of Change of Address or Name

It is the ratepayer’s responsibility to notify us in writing of any change to a postal address or name on your account.

It is important that we are able to contact all of our ratepayers and this also ensures you receive all future correspondence.

You can update your mailing address or lodge your new name details with us via email, mail or by completing a change of name/address form at one of our service centers.

A change of name requires supporting documentation to validate the update.

If you would like to update your postal address or name on your account, please download and complete one of the following forms:

Change of postal address form

Change of name form

Pension Concession Rebates

Eligible ratepayers can receive up to $279.40 off their annual rates bill for the 2018/2019 financial year.

This includes a $229.00 State Government rebate, plus an additional $50 rebate off their Fire Services Property Levy.

The rebate can only be applied to the ratepayer’s principal place of residence.

Ratepayers are eligible for the rate rebate if they hold a;

  • Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Department of Veterans Affairs Gold Card – War Widow (WW) or Totally & Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)

PLEASE NOTE: Ratepayers who are holders of health care cards do not qualify for the rebate.

To receive this rebate, the name and address on your concession card must be exactly the same as the name and address shown on the Rate Notice for your principal place of residence.

If you would like to apply for a rebate on your rates, please download and complete the Municipal rates concession application form found at Department Health & Human Services website.

Garbage Services Levy

Properties that receive a kerbside waste collection service have a garbage service charge included on their rates notice.

The standard charge for a 120-litre garbage bin is $412.00. You can also upgrade to a 240-litre bin for afee of $55.81, altering the yearly total to be $467.81.

Fire Services Property Levy

From 1 July 2013, the Fire Services Property Levy was removed from insurance premiums and replaced with a property-based levy collected with Council rates.

The levy is used to fund the Metropolitan Fire and Emergency Services Board and the Country Fire Authority.

Council has no role in the setting of this levy and does not receive any revenue collected as a result of the levy.

Farmers with multiple properties that operate as a single enterprise will pay the fixed charge only once.

Click here to see the Single Farm Enterprise Exemption - Application Form.

For more information, please visit Fire Services Levy Website or contact the State Revenue Office on 13 21 61.

Rural Land Management Program

This Program encourages better land management by providing incentives for landholders.

You will find more information and how to apply on the Rural Land Management Program page.

Land Information Certificates

A Land Information Certificate provides information about valuations of the property, the amount of rates charged and arrears or interest if applicable. The certificate is required so that the correct settlement can be made.

The current cost of a land information certificate of general service is $26.30 (turnaround time within 7 days).

You can also ask for a fast-tracked service which has a fee of $67.20 for a turnaround time of 24 hours.

Upon application, you are required to complete a Land Information Certificate Application Form and submit by emailing to

Infringement Review

If you've received an infringement and you'd like it reviewed, please complete and send in the application form below via: