Wonthaggi Union Community Arts Centre - Building Renewal Works - COMPLETED
Council wishes to advise of the commencement of building renewal works to the ‘back of house’ section of the Wonthaggi Union Community Arts Centre (WUCAC) in Graham Street, Wonthaggi.
The Wonthaggi Union Community Arts Centre goes by many names: The Arts Centre, The Centre, The Performing Arts Centre, The Cinema or as it has been called for so many years by the locals “The Union”, the current building was built on the site of the original Wonthaggi Union Theatre which has a great deal of historical significance to the town and is now due for some more improvements.
Opened in 1982, the Wonthaggi Union Community Arts Centre continues to require further facility maintenance and infrastructure upgrades for the venue to continue to operate effectively and to comply with code and legislative requirements as required. This project builds on the previous renewal works undertaken at the Arts Centre, including the major re-fit to the auditorium, stage and front of house in 2018.
This project is scheduled to commence in the week beginning 22 February 2021 and is expected to be completed by 31 March 2021, subject to any potential Covid-19 restrictions imposed by the State Government.
Council has appointed TS Constructions Pty Ltd to undertake the nominated works. The total project cost is $250,000 and is funded through Council’s adopted Capital Works program for 2020-21.
Benefits to the community
This project represents an investment in the performing arts facilities for the Bass Coast community. This will provide upgraded facilities for many local community groups hire and use of this facility including the Wonthaggi Theatrical Group and our local dance schools, Primary and Secondary School performances, Service and Interest Groups, Aged Care facilities and touring performers. It also operates as a commercial cinema in key periods.
The ‘back of house’ includes male and female dressing rooms, basic kitchen facility, toilets including accessible amenities and the ‘Green Room’. For you to understand the level of works expected for this project, we have briefly described the specific works below
- New Joinery to male and female dressing rooms
- New kitchen and appliances
- New joinery to laundry
- New vinyl floor coverings to dressing rooms
- Energy Efficient elements including plumbing fixtures and LED lighting
- Upgraded amenities to toilet facilities
- Upgraded shower facilities
- Other miscellaneous works
What to expect
- Cinema sessions will continue at weekends. Contact the Centre for screening details.
- It is always challenging to deliver the necessary works with minimal impact to user groups, hence there will be no performance bookings have been accepted for the nominated construction period.
- For your own safety and that of other, access will be restricted to these construction areas.
The community, residents, businesses and other stakeholders will be kept up to date with the project via Council’s website. For information or assistance, please contact:
- TS Constructions Pty Ltd – Project Manager – Trevor Bowler – 0419 311 461
- Bass Coast Shire Council’s Infrastructure Delivery Team, Russell Jacgung – Capital Projects- Building & Open Space 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211
- Email email@example.com
- Visit our website www.basscoast.vic.gov.au to get the latest updates on this project.
Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation.