Wonthaggi - Road Renewal Works - Baillieu Street East
Notice of Works
Bass Coast Shire Council wishes to advise of start of road renewal works on Baillieu Street East between Billson Street and McKenzie Street in mid-August 2021. See location and staging plans below.
This project is funded by the Federal Government’s Local Roads and Community Infrastructure Program – Phase 2 which aims to assist community led recovery from Covid-19 by supporting local jobs, firms and procurement. This project will result in:
- Pavement widening, drainage works, formalised car parking, kerb & channel and footpath construction.
This project is about to start on 16 August 2021 and is expected to be completed early December, subject to favourable weather and any potential Covid-19 restrictions imposed by the State Government.
The contractor is planning to undertake some pre-commencement works (service locations, site mobilisation and traffic sign installation) on the week starting 9 August 2021. Council recognises that it can be a challenge to deliver the necessary works and not affect the residents, businesses and road users, especially when much of our work is determined by weather conditions.
Council has appointed SR Excavations Pty Ltd after a competitive open tender process. The total project cost is in the order of $1,570,000 which is fully funded by the Local Roads and Community Infrastructure Program – Phase 2.
What to Expect
- To minimise impact on the road users and parking, the works will be carried out in two stages. Stage 1 will be undertaken in late August and during the works, Baillieu Street East from Hagelthorn Street to Broome Street will be closed for 3-5 days to undertake asphalt works. Stage 2 road works will start in early October and both east and west sections of the Baillieu Street East will be closed, except for local resident access only. Stage 1 will be opened to traffic during the Stage 2 works.
- Traffic lights will be operated at east and west ends of the limit of works with contraflow traffic between Billson Street and McKenzie Street, from 16 August to early October for drainage works.
- Appropriate traffic and pedestrian control measures will be implemented onsite during these works. Electronic Variable Message Signs (VMS) are in place to advise of these roadworks. This will be a construction zone and for your own safety and others, there will be some access restrictions, road and pathway detours and closures. Our staff and contractor will notify nearby residents, businesses and user groups who may be impacted by these works. As always, emergency vehicle access to properties will be maintained at all times.
- No parking between Billson Street and McBride Avenue during the Stage 2 works (early October to early December). We ask that residents and businesses within this section to seek alternative parking arrangements during these times.
- The use of heavy plant and machinery including noisy and vibration works for construction including earthworks and use of trucks for removal or delivery of materials etc.
We appreciate that these works may present an inconvenience and we ask for your patience during these times. Our contractor will make every effort to minimise disruptions to motorists, residents and businesses. The community, local residents, businesses and other stakeholders will be kept up to date with the project via Council’s website and letter box drops or mail outs, where appropriate.
For information or assistance, please contact:
- SR Excavation Pty Ltd – Project Manager – Brad Hewton – 0429 598 819
- Bass Coast Shire Council’s Infrastructure Delivery Team, Martin O’Flynn or Jani Surasinghe - 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211
- Email email@example.com
- Visit our website www.basscoast.vic.gov.au to get the latest updates on this project.
Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation.