Kilcunda - Replacement of existing timber Rail Trail Bridge - Mouth of Powlett Road
Notice of Works
Bass Coast Shire Council has appointed contractors Wiltrack Earthmoving Pty Ltd after a competitive open tender process to renew an existing timber bridge along the Rail Trail located approximately 1.4 km east of Mouth of Powlett Road, Kilcunda. Site of works map.
Construction will begin the week of 01 February 2022 and is anticipated to be completed late April, subject to favourable weather, contractor and supplier availability and any potential COVID-19 restrictions imposed by the State Government. Council recognises that it can be a challenge to deliver the necessary works and not affect the residents, businesses and Rail Trail users, especially when much of our work is determined by weather conditions. These works are funded by Council in the order of $640,000.
Benefits to the Community
- The renewal works will maintain the rail trail connection from Phillip Island to Wonthaggi. The bridge which has been in service for many years and has encountered damaged due to age and wear and tear.
- The rail trail is a popular destination for cycling, mountain biking and walking, improving the bridge will ensure safer passage for users and continued promotion of health and fitness among the community for many years to come.
- Construction will also allow Council to support local jobs and businesses, through the impacts of the COVID-19.
What to Expect
- Removal and replacement of existing timber bridge with a pre-cast concrete box culvert bridge.
- The Rail Trail will be closed between the Mouth of Powlett Road carpark and Station Street, Dalyston during this period. Notice of closures will be placed at the Mouth of Powlett Road car park, Station Street, Dalyston and on the rail track before Station Street (see image below) to detour users.
- Appropriate traffic and pedestrian control measures will be implemented onsite during these works. This will be a construction zone and for your own safety and others, there will be some access restrictions, part of the track closures and detours. Our staff and contractor will notify nearby residents, businesses and user groups who may be impacted by these works. We appreciate that these works may present an inconvenience and we ask for your patience during these times. Our contractor will make every effort to minimise disruptions to rail trail users. As always, emergency vehicle access to properties will be maintained at all times.
- The use of heavy plant and machinery including noisy and vibration works for construction including saw cutting, use of trucks for removal or delivery of materials.
The community, local residents, businesses and other stakeholders will be kept up to date with the project via Council’s website. For information or assistance, please contact:
- Wiltrack Earthmoving Pty Ltd – Project Manager – Michael Wilson – 0409 560 886
- Bass Coast Shire Council’s Infrastructure Delivery Team, Martin O’Flynn – Capital Project Officer or Jani Surasinghe - Contract Superintendent - 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit our website www.basscoast.vic.gov.au to get the latest updates on this project.
Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation.