Kilcunda - Rail Trail Diversion Works
Notice of Works
Council wishes to advice of the commencement of Rail Trail works in Kilcunda in May 2021. See map below.
Council has appointed SR Excavations Pty Ltd as part of our annual supply contract to carry out rail trail minor diversion works in Kilcunda. This project was identified as part of recent coastal erosion on the seaward side of a section of the rail trail, near the Lionel Rose Carpark. The project is fully funded by Council in the order of $32,000 as part of Council 20/21 Capital Works through Open Space renewal program.
This project is about to start week ending 14 May 2021 and anticipated to be completed in 4 weeks. Council recognises that it can be a challenge to deliver the necessary works and not affect the residents and road users, especially when much of our work is determined by favourable weather conditions, contractor and supplier availability and any potential Covid-19 restrictions imposed by the State Government.
Benefits to the Community
- The rail trail is a principle bike network, the only pedestrian / bicycle connection from East to West of the Shire. These works are required to divert the rail trail inland due to the coastal erosion to the primary dune from tidal and wave actions.
- The diversion works are potentially a short-term response. Council is currently overseeing an options analysis that will inform the response to erosion in the longer-term. This includes an investigation into the coastal processes which are influencing erosion at this site. This options analysis is expected to be completed at the end of June.
- The aim of this project is important in ensuring the open space network is safe and sustainable for the community into the future and appropriate levels of service are maintained.
What to Expect
- Realignment of 155 metres of rail trail to the inland side, including earthworks and placement of gravel. This includes the removal of vegetation to realign the rail trail. All necessary permits and approvals have been acquired.
- Modify the existing timber stairs leading from Lionel Rose carpark to match realignment of the rail trail, construction of a timber retaining wall , relocation of timber bench seat and post and wire fence works
- Replanting of vegetation along the edge/slope of realigned section of Rail Trail
- Appropriate traffic and pedestrian control measures, will be implemented onsite during these works. These sites will be a construction zone and for your own safety and others, there will be some access restrictions, as required.
- During these works, the Rail Trail will be open for all users. Emergency access will be provided. Our contractor will make every effort to minimise disruptions to rail trail users. We appreciate that these works may present an inconvenience and we ask for your patience during these times.
- The use of heavy plant and machinery including noisy and vibration works for construction including use of trucks for removal or delivery of materials.
The community, local residents, businesses and other stakeholders will be kept up to date with the project via Council’s website. For information or assistance, please contact:
- SR Excavation Pty Ltd – Project Manager – Brad Hewton – 0429 598 819
- Bass Coast Shire Council’s Infrastructure Delivery Team, Marty O’Flynn – Capital Project Officer - 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211
- Email email@example.com
- Visit our website www.basscoast.vic.gov.au to get the latest updates on this project.
Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation.