Various - Inverloch Pre-School & Wonthaggi Shaft 20 Historical Site
We wish to advise that building renewal and maintenance works will be undertaken at Inverloch Pre-school (Kindergarten) and Mine Shaft 20 historical site located on the Bass Highway, Wonthaggi as part of Bass Coast Shire Council’s Building and Open Space Renewal Program for 2020/21. The works will be undertaken by TS Constructions Pty Ltd on behalf of Council. A map of each site has been included below.
Benefits to the community
Bass Coast Shire Council is committed to providing functional and safe building facilities, reserves and other public infrastructure within the Bass Coast Shire. This project will ensure delivery of Council's adopted Community Service Levels for, Community Health and complement similar projects within the Shire recently completed under the Building and Open Space Renewal Program, in response to customer requests received from Local residents and groups.
What to expect
Works for the Inverloch Pre-school has started while the facility is vacant over the Christmas holidays and will be completed by 22 January 2021. These major renewal and upgrade works shall include:
- replace section of roof,
- external wall and cladding repairs,
- sanitary plumbing, including new pans and cisterns,
- mould treatment,
- vinyl flooring to Childrens toilet and
- toy shed plumbing and repairs
The renewal and upgrade works will improve the quality and safety of the service’s facility, fix accessibility issues which will improve program delivery the kinder can offer local families.
Mine Shaft 20 historical site – Bass Highway Wonthaggi will begin in late January 2021 and is anticipated to be finished by the end of May 2021. All necessary permits have been approved by Heritage Victoria for this project. Major repairs for the Fan Housing Structure at the site will include:
- Brickwork repairs
- Rust treatment to reinforcement
- Render of external walls
- Rebuild failed concrete areas
- Treatment and painting of the steel fan housing
The Number 20 mine shaft site commemorates miners killed in two underground explosions on 20 February 1931 and 15 February 1937. The first occurred during the first year of operation on the 20th February 1931, when 4 men died underground. The 1937 shaft explosion at No.20 shaft was the worst accident in the mine's history with thirteen men dying underground.
We appreciate that these works may present an inconvenience and ask for your patience during this time. Our contractor will work with property/service managers to minimise disruptions during construction.
For more information or assistance during this project, please contact:
- TS Constructions – Mark Patterson - Site Supervisor – Inverloch Pre-school – 0418 566 180 and Trevor Bowler – Mine Shaft 20 – 0419 311 461
- Bass Coast Shire Council’s Infrastructure Delivery Team – Russell Jacgung or Infrastructure Asset Management Team – Laurie Gervasi on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211
- Email email@example.com
- Visit our website www.basscoast.vic.gov.au for updates on this project.
Thank you in advance.
Location of Mine Shaft 20 Historical Site.