Grantville - Road Renewal Works - Grantville Glen Alvie Road
Notice of Works
Council wishes to advise of the commencement of road renewal works along a section of Grantville Glen Alvie Road in mid-May 2021.
This project is partly funded by Council and State Government through the Fixing Country Roads Program and Agrilinks Upgrade Program. The total project cost is in the order of $1.2 million with contributions from Council’s Road renewal program The State Government of Victoria Fixing Country Roads Program and $350,000 from Agrilinks Upgrade program. These programs invest in improving the current state of regional roads to enhance connectivity and efficiency of regional communities and industry. Both programs support practical projects that predominately benefit improving local road conditions in regional areas that involve drainage, shoulder widening and pavement rehabilitations.
Council has appointed R & C Asphalt Paving Pty Ltd to perform major road widening, drainage and sealing works in Grantville Glen Alvie Road between 1km east of Tozer Road for 940 metres towards Loch Wonthaggi Road, as part of Council’s adopted 2020-21 Capital Works Program.
These works are expected to start week ending 14 May 2021 are expected to be completed in late August 2021, weather permitting. Council recognises that it can be a challenge to deliver the necessary works and not affect the residents and road users, especially when much of our work is determined by favourable weather conditions, contractor and supplier availability and any potential COVID-19 restrictions imposed by the State Government.
Benefits to the Community
This busy road is requiring rehabilitation/renewal to improve its existing condition that provides a vital commuter link between Grantville and neighbouring rural communities and the regional centre of Wonthaggi. This road is also a major strategic freight and transport route for larger vehicles servicing the dairy, agriculture and extraction industries. The aim of this project is important in ensuring the urban road network is safe and sustainable for the community into the future and appropriate levels of service are maintained.
What to Expect
- The project will include but not limited to:
- about 940 metres long section of road widening to achieve 7 metre wide road pavement, approximately one kilometre east of Tozer Road
- 470 metres of kerb and channel and other stormwater drainage works
- road pavement renewal works by adding rock overlay with cement and lime stabilisation to the existing road pavement,
- placement/upgrade of existing driveway culverts with driveable end walls, as required,
- road spray sealing works and
- installation of new or replacement of signage and line marking as required.
- Appropriate traffic control measures, including Variable Message Board (VMS) will be implemented onsite during these works. This will be a construction zone and for your own safety and others, there will be some access restrictions, such as single lane closures and temporary traffic lights as required. Local and emergency access will be provided. Our contractor will make every effort to minimise the disruptions to motorists, residents/school bus operations and businesses that operate on Grantville Glen Alvie Road, while implementing appropriate traffic control measures. Road users will experience significant delays (up to 15 minutes) and may wish to seek alternate routes during the construction period or plan your trip accordingly. As always, emergency vehicle access to all properties will be maintained at all times.
- Our staff and contractor will notify nearby residents, businesses and user groups who may be impacted by these works. We appreciate that these works may present a significant inconvenience to you all. We ask for your patience during these works.
- The use of heavy plant and machinery including noisy and vibration works for construction including earthwork, pavement construction and use of trucks for removal or delivery of materials.
The community, local residents, schools, businesses and other stakeholders will be kept up to date with the project via Council’s website and letter box drops or mail outs where appropriate. For information or assistance, please contact:
- R & C Asphalt Paving Pty Ltd – Project Engineer – Simon Varghese 0427 480 668.
- Bass Coast Shire Council’s Infrastructure Delivery Team, Russell Thomas – Capital Project Officer or Ravi Raveendran - Contract Superintendent - 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211 (business hours Monday to Friday)
- Email email@example.com
- Visit our website www.basscoast.vic.gov.au to get the latest updates on this project.