Grantville-Glen Alvie Road - Drainage Renewal Works
UPDATE March 2020:
SR Excavations will be starting on Monday 30 March, to undertake major culvert works along Grantville Glen Alvie Road between Loch Kernot Road and Loch Wonthaggi Road.
The major culvert works will involve installation of:
- twin cell (2.1 metre x 1.5 metre wide) culverts and
- 900mm diameter culvert
Due to the size, weight and depth to install these culverts, a heavy lifting crane will be onsite to lower these culverts into position. It is anticipated that each major culvert could take up to 5 days to be installed, subject to contractor availability and weather permitting. It is important to note that because these works are occurring on our road network, both Council and our contractor will be committed to complete each culvert as required.
Staged road drainage renewal works have begun along Grantville-Glen Alvie Road between Loch-Kernot Road to Loch Wonthaggi Road and is anticipated to take a few months to complete, subject to contractors availability and weather permitting.
Council has appointed contractors SR Excavations Pty Ltd to perform minor road drainage culvert works under an annual supply contract to carry out these works as a part of Council’s adopted 2019-20 Capital Works Program. These works have started from Loch-Kernot Road end, working towards Loch-Wonthaggi Road.
This busy road is requiring rehabilitation to improve the condition of the road that provides a vital commuter link between Grantville and neighbouring rural communities and the regional centre of Wonthaggi. This road is also a major strategic freight and transport route for larger vehicles servicing the dairy, agriculture and extraction industries.
This staged project is partly funded by State Government through the Fixing Country Roads Program. This program invests in improving the current state of regional roads to enhance connectivity and efficiency of regional communities and industry. The program supports practical projects that predominately benefit improving local road conditions in regional areas that involve drainage, shoulder widening and pavement rehabilitations. The total project cost is in the order of $1.2 million with contributions of $800,000 from State Government and $400,000 from Council.
Road drainage works will involve:
- Significant earthworks for major and minor road culverts. Further update for major culvert replacement works will be made available on our website.
- Drainage clearing and replacement of existing underground road drainage pipes and pit works
Future stages will include roadworks to improve the road surface along this section of road. It is anticipated that the road renewal works to start once most of the drainage works are completed and will take many months to complete, subject to contractor availability and weather permitting. This may include:
- road widening to achieve a minimum of 7.0 metre wide road pavement
- kerb and channelling along sections of this road
- road pavement renewal works by adding rock overlay with cement and or lime stabilisation to the existing road pavement.
- placement/upgrade of existing driveway culverts with driveable endwalls, as required
- road spray sealing works, including possible asphalting surfacing at intersecting roads
- installation of new or replacement of signage and linemarking as required
We appreciate that these works will present a significant inconvenience to you all. We ask for your patience during these works. Our contractor(s) will make every effort to minimise the disruptions to motorists, residents/school bus operations and businesses that operate on Grantville-Glen Alvie Road, while implementing appropriate traffic control measures. Road users will experience delays and may wish to seek alternate routes during the construction period or plan your trip accordingly. As always, emergency vehicle access to all properties will be maintained at all times.
Our community, local residents, schools, businesses and other stakeholders will be kept up-to-date with the project via website updates and letter box drops or mail outs where appropriate. For information or assistance during this project, please contact:
- SR Excavations – Site Supervisor – Brad Hewton 0429 598 819
- Bass Coast Shire Council’s Infrastructure Delivery team – Russell Thomas on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211 (business hours Monday to Friday)
- Email: email@example.com