Cowes Revitalisation Projects
The Cowes Activity Centre Plan (CACP) identifies three catalyst projects:
- Jetty Triangle and Piazza - completed
- Cowes Cultural and Community Centre - upcoming
- Transit Centre and All Day Carpark - in progress
These projects are designed to have a significant impact on Cowes and Phillip Island by improving town centre connectivity, revitalising town facilities and increasing visitor spending.
For the latest update, see our Autumn newsletter
Transit Centre and All Day Carpark - in progress
We wish to advise that the Infrastructure Delivery team has engaged Stoddart Infrastructure to undertake the installation of the third Bus Shelter on the lower side of existing Transit Centre at Cowes including minor modification to an existing shelter as part of 2019-20 Capital Works Program.
These works will ensure the provision of an additional sheltered area within the Transit Centre area and will include the following:
- Sawcut existing concrete slab for bus shelter bored pier foundation
- Installation of the new bus shelter
- Roof modification to an existing bus shelter
We appreciate that these works may present an inconvenience to all users within Cowes Transit and ask for your patience during these times. Our contractor will make every effort to minimise these disruptions. It is anticipated these works will start Monday, 01 June 2020 and be completed within 2 weeks, weather permitting. These works are fully funded by Council in the value of $45,000.
What to expect:
- It is expected that there will be sections of the pathway impeded during works.
- Appropriate pedestrian control measures will be implemented onsite during these works.
The community, local residents, businesses and other stakeholders will be kept up to date with the project via Council’s website. For information or assistance, please contact:
- Stoddart Infrastructure – Site Manager – Patrick Darby – 0420 961 889
- Bass Coast Shire Council’s Infrastructure Delivery Team – Russell Thomas – Capital Project Officer on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211
- Email email@example.com
- Visit our website www.basscoast.vic.gov.au to get the latest updates on this project.
- Cowes Transit Centre Arborist Report PDF (1 MB)
- Biodiversity Assessment Report - Stage 1 May 2018 PDF (4 MB)
- Biodiversity Assessment Report - Stage 2 May 2018 PDF (4 MB)
- Endorsed Landscape plan and Native Vegetation Credit register - Stage 1 PDF (3 MB)
- Endorsed Landscape plan and Native Vegetation Credit register - Stage 2 PDF (3 MB)
Our officers and contractors will continue to work closely with key stakeholders throughout the duration of the project. The community, local residents, businesses and other stakeholders via this website, letter box drops and mail outs.
There will be an improved walking experience through the precinct along Thompson Avenue to The Esplanade. The Transit Centre will provide space for a bus interchange and designated bus and taxi layover spaces.
Cowes Cultural and Community Centre - upcoming
This project will offer a range of activities consistent with contemporary cultural and community centres. It will be a dynamic, interactive centre with a focus on community events. It will be a true source of community pride. The revitalisation will improve and increase services to a growing population and add value to the visitor experience.
If you have any questions or would like further information on the Cowes Cultural and Community Centre, please contact Sue Pascoe-Johnson on (03) 5671 2187 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jetty Triangle and Piazza - completed
The Cowes community considered the foreshore to be the town's meeting place, a unique feature of the town that was not used to its fullest potential. With works now complete, the foreshore now has increased capacity for markets, community gatherings, events and is a unique and beautiful place to meet. The centrepiece of the new foreshore precinct is the Village Green, a versatile grassed common area flowing down from a terraced stage surrounding the historic cenotaph.
This timelapse video of progress was published after the official opening in November 2018.
The construction phase of this exciting project kicked off on 19 February 2018 and was completed in time for celebrations of Phillip Island's 150th anniversary of European settlement, in November 2018.
On Wednesday 10 January 2018, the Minister for Regional Development, The Hon Jaala Pulford unveiled the Jetty Triangle Functional Design (PDF 5.4MB) at a ceremony at the Cowes Jetty Shed (you can watch the unveiling on YouTube).
Community Consultation for Concept Design
The Concept Design is the result of extensive community engagement which was undertaken in December 2014 and April 2015. Approximately 360 members of the community attended the marquee and provided feedback on the concept design. 132 members of the community indicated their level of support for the Concept Design and approximately 300 pieces of written feedback was received and analysed by Council Officers. Community Engagement documents can be found below: