Cowes - Bridge Deck and Balustrade Handrail Renewal - Shearwater Estate
Notice of Works
Bass Coast Shire Council has engaged SR Excavations Pty Ltd under annual supply contract to carry out Bridge Deck and Balustrade Handrail renewal works within the Shearwater Estate, Cowes. See map attached.
Timber deck replacement will start late November 2021 and completion is anticipated within 3 weeks. This will follow by the Balustrade handrail replacement to start in late January 2022 and completion is anticipated within 2 weeks. All works are subject to favourable weather, contractor/supplier availability and any further COVID restrictions.
These works are a continuation of the recent Eastern bridge deck replacement works and is fully funded by Council in the order of $116,500 and is part of Council’s 2021/22 Capital Works Open Space Renewal Program.
- The existing timber decking and balustrade handrail has significantly deteriorated to both East and West bridge structures and need to be replaced.
- The new decking material is locally manufactured (Ballarat) using recycled plastic which is more UV resistant and slip resistant than timber. The product also has additional advantages compared to timber decking such as, resistant to corrosion, moisture, termites and will never split, rot, crack or need painting. The balustrade timber handrails will be replaced with a UV resistant fibreglass section which will provide a sturdier handrail system and will align with Council’s Environmentally Sustainable Design Policy
Benefits to the Community
- These works will give residents along the streets and the greater area, a safe pedestrian connection to existing footpath network.
- Provide an aesthetically pleasing and long lasting maintenance free product
What to Expect
- Removal of existing timber bridge planks and installation of new planks to East and West bridges
- For safety reasons, no pedestrian access to the bridges will be permitted during construction works
- Appropriate pedestrian measures and signage will be in place throughout the duration of the works
- The use of plant and machinery including noisy works such as power tools and trucks
We appreciate that these works may present an inconvenience to nearby properties and we have asked for their patience during these times. Our contractor will make every effort to minimise disruptions during construction. Our community, local residents and other stakeholders will be kept up to date with the project via our website.
The community, local residents, businesses and other stakeholders will be kept up to date with the project via Council’s website. For information or assistance, please contact:
- SR Excavations Pty Ltd – Project Manager – Brad Hewton – 0429 598 819
- Bass Coast Shire Council’s Infrastructure Delivery Team – John Dordevic – 0412 574 369
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit our website www.basscoast.vic.gov.au for updates on this project.
Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation.