Skip to main content

Pet Registration & Microchipping

How to Register Your Pet

Please complete the Application for Pet Registration Form and either take it to a Customer Service Centre, post it to us, or send via email with your payment and proof of microchipping. You'll then be issued with a lifetime registration tag. If you own an unregistered pet, you're risking a fine.

Once you've registered your pet for the first time, a renewal notice will be sent to you in March each year. It's important you check the details on the renewal notice to ensure you and your pet's information is correct.

Please note, under the Domestic Animals Act 1994, only seeing and hearing guide dogs are recognised as assistance animals at this stage, and are exempt from paying fees.

Replacement Tags

We issue lifetime registration tags. If you need a replacement, please call in to one of our Customer Service Centres or phone 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211. There is no charge for replacement tags.


All cats and dogs being registered with a Victorian Council for the first time must be microchipped. This applies to pets aged three months and over.

Microchipping involves inserting a small computer chip under a pet’s skin that can be scanned in order to retrieve the contact details of the owner. Microchipping can be done by a vet or at a Council microchipping day. For details on upcoming micropchipping days, contact us on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.

The most important aspect of microchipping is that it can literally save your pet’s life. Each year, tens of thousands of impounded pets in Victoria can't be identified. Any impounded animals that aren't microchipped will not be released until they have been microchipped.

If you move house or your contact details change, you can update your information on the microchip registry on the Central Animal Records website or by calling (03) 9706 3187.

For more information, visit the Agriculture Victoria website or contact our Community Safety Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.

How many animals can I keep?

The maximum number of dogs and cats allowed in residences less than 0.5 hectares (1.24 acres) is two dogs and two cats.

However, if you live on a property between 0.5 and 2 hectares (4.9 acres), you may have up to three dogs and four cats. If you wish to keep more than the maximum number, you must apply for an Excess Animal Permit.

Visit the Excess Animal Permit page for more information on how to apply.


Compulsory desexing of cats

In May 2016, Council declared two Orders in relation to the responsible ownership of cats in the Shire. These Orders came into effect on 10 April 2017:

  • Council will not register a new cat unless the cat is desexed or is exempt under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 (the Act and amendments) from any requirement to be desexed. Undesexed cats that are currently registered will not be affected.

Cats exempt from desexing under the Domestic Animals Act 1994

• A cat that is owned by a person or body that conducts a domestic animal business under which cats are bred and the cat is used for breeding purposes in connection with that business (an enterprise which carries out the breeding of cats to sell); or

• A cat that is owned by a person who is a current member of an applicable organisation and the cat is registered with that organisation (proof of membership required).

The Victorian Applicable Organisations are:
• Australian National Cats Inc
• Feline Control Council of Victoria Inc
• The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria
• We will also review written advice from a vet on potential negative medical impacts of desexing of individual cats.

I want to register my cat, but it's not desexed
Unless your cat falls into one of the above categories, your cat WILL need to be desexed first.
Speak to your local or preferred vet about the procedure.
Your vet may be able to provide desexing assistance for owners experiencing significant financial hardship on a case by case basis through completion of an application, or provide you with other contacts for support.

Benefits of containment and information for cat owners
  • Contrary to popular belief, cats don’t have to roam. Cats should be kept indoors at night (house, enclosure, shed or garage) and preferably confined to the property at all times.
  • Providing their basic needs are met, cats can enjoy longer and healthier lives when safely contained to the property. They won’t be hit by cars, injured in fights, become lost or catch fatal diseases such as feline AIDS.
  • Containing cats to the property helps protect wildlife and prevent neighbourhood disputes about cat nuisance issues.
  • Cat confinement is also a legal requirement with an increasing number of councils.
  • Most cats should adapt well to living indoors and in an enclosure, particularly if they have been kept in this way from an early age.
  • Adult cats used to roaming outdoors, however, may have more difficulty adjusting. If this is the case, you can consult your vet for advice.
  • Desexing cats also reduces their desire to roam and helps prevent behavioural problems.
  • You might consider:
    • cat proof fencing (such as modifying existing fencing to make it ‘cat proof’, giving your cat free access to parts of or your entire yard);
    • a cat enclosure attached to another structure eg the house or a shed); or
    • a free standing cat enclosure.

Customers who are having problems with nuisance cats can request a cat trap from us. Alternatively, the details of where a cat lives, if known, can be provided to us for follow up.

RSPCA Victoria has developed a new website, specifically dedicated to the wellbeing of cats - This site has a wealth of information for the responsible ownership of cats.


Barking Dogs

Excessive dog barking can be annoying for neighbours and also for the dog owner. The state government website has lots of useful information about what you do to help solve the problem both as a neighbour or as an owner.

Restricted Breeds

You are required by law to declare if your dog is of a restricted breed (such as an American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bull Terrier, Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro, Japanese Tosa and Perro De Presa Canario). Failure to do so may result in a fine. For more information on restricted breeds, please visit the Agriculture Victoria website.

Domestic Animal Management

The Domestic Animal Management Plan 2017-2021 and Local Law No 1 Neighbourhood Amenity 2012 helps the community with responsible pet ownership. They also help us achieve a professional, consistent and proactive approach to domestic animal management practices within the local area.