Skip to main content
COVID-19 Support
Support information and resources during the current Pandemic
COVID-19 Support

Travel Permit

Last updated: 25/10/2021 - 1.16pm

The Victorian State Government has announced a permit system to allow non-resident ratepayers of Bass Coast Shire to apply for a travel permit in order to undertake fire prevention works on their Bass Coast property from Monday, 11 October 2021.

Please consider the following before applying for a permit:

  • the increased risk of an outbreak of COVID-19 in Regional Victoria, compromising the Premier’s Road Map to Reopening
  • Council’s Green Waste Amnesty starts on 30 October
  • Phase C of the Premier’s 'Road Map to Reopening' currently aims to bring regional and metropolitan Victoria together from 5 November.

First, check your eligibility

Your property must be within the Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO). You can enter your address to check eligibility at the link below.

Applicants who received permits last year do not automatically qualify this year. Last year permits were granted for properties within Bushfire Prone Areas and the Land Subject to Inundation Overlay. This year, only the Bushfire Management Overlay applies.

Once you have entered your address into the search field and identified your property, if it is within the Bushfire Management Overlay, BMO will be listed in the Property Information (left column) under Planning Scheme Overlays.

My property is not eligible. What now?

Under Phase C of the Victorian Premier’s 'Road Map for Reopening', it's expected from as early as 5 November, regional and metropolitan Victoria will come together under the same rules and travel restrictions will be eased.

In the meantime, if you have bushfire concerns about your property, we recommend that you engage a contractor in Bass Coast to complete the works.

My property is in a Bushfire Management Overlay - it's eligible. How do I apply?

Permit holders must adhere to the lockdown restrictions of their primary residence.

If you are travelling from metro Melbourne you:

  • must bring with you all equipment and fuel
  • must bring with you all supplies including food
  • Can use your kerbside bins to deposit your waste

Please note that Travel Permit applicaitons may take up to five business days to process.

The person lodging the application must be the ratepayer. In the application, they will nominate and list who will be attending to undertake the works.

Only valid and eligible permits will be approved. ie if your property is not in a Bushfire Management Overlay, the application cannot be approved.

For more information, please visit the Victorian Government Coronavirus website.