Our goal is to manage our unique natural environment in a sustainable way, and protect our natural landscape and habitat for future generations to enjoy.
The Natural Environment Strategy (PDF 8.1MB) guides us in how we achieve this.
We have a Sustainable Environment Department to carry out the actions and responsibilities identified in this strategy, such as:
- Conservation management of 42 kilometres of coastal and bushland reserves - this includes boating facilities and foreshore permits.
- Land and catchment management - includes the Landcare partnership and the Land Management Rebate scheme.
- Preparing environmental policy and strategic direction.
- Sustainability and climate change - includes advocacy on environmental issues such as: energy, water, waste and fleet.
- Environmental information, education and awareness programs.
- Waste management services - includes disposal of household waste and recycling, landfill operations and rehabilitation compliance with State Government legislation and litter and waste education programs for the community.