Skip to main content

Outdoor Dining

Footpath Trading Permits

Council are fast tracking new applications for Footpath Trading permits. These include:

  • New Footpath Trading permits for the purpose of Outdoor Dining
  • Extension to existing Footpath Trading permits for the purpose of Outdoor Dining
  • Extension to Red Line License (Service of Alcohol) for the purpose of Outdoor Dining

Permits are valid until 30 June 2022 and permit fees are waived until 30 June 2022.

Parklet Application

In support of Outdoor Dining initiatives, Council are assessing applications for temporary Parklet activation and special events. For new parklets application please fill out an Expression of Interest as the first step to working towards your parklet.

Permits are valid until 30 June 2023.

We are currently reviewing the future of parklets in Bass Coast Shire, have your say on Engage Bass Coast.


As we support businesses in their roadmap to recovery, we are pleased to lead the conversation supporting the activation of new and exciting outdoor dining opportunities.

As we move toward the warmer months, we expect to see visitor numbers return however, with physical distancing restrictions and customer limits likely to be in place for some time, alternative options need to be considered.

We are exploring opportunities to free up additional outdoor space including footpaths, parklets and road closures, to create welcoming communal spaces for outdoor dining and trading. Creating a vibrant open space can generate a buzz that gets people talking, visiting and spending.

Safety and accessibility is paramount. There will be requirements that need to be met to ensure the safety of everyone and for some businesses; the process will be a little different, particularly if you have a liquor license.

Our Team is available to help you through the process, including expediting permit applications and approvals to ensure trade expansion occurs quickly and safely.


Who can apply for Outdoor Dining opportunities?

We want to hear from all hospitality businesses within Bass Coast Shire. Let us know what you have in mind so we can assist with finding a solution that suits you and your business.

How soon can I start/ expand my outdoor dining?

Council are working quickly to establish the internal process and resourcing. In the coming days an expression of interest form will be made available on our website. Teams will be available to help you through the process including expediting permit applications and approvals.

What is a ‘Parklet’?

A pop up dining or trading space that uses adjacent car parking, parklets are typically intended for people, offering a place to stop and rest while enjoying the services of a trader. Team up with neighbouring businesses to establish a welcoming and safe seating area for your patrons.

Is it safe to be dining on the road?

Safety and accessibility is paramount. Along with patron safety we must consider pedestrian and vehicle traffic including emergency vehicle access. Our Business Support Team will facilitate conversations with relevant Council Teams to ensure conditions are met to achieve a safe solution for all parties.

Will I require additional insurance?

In order to trade on the footpath or parklet the business must provide Council with a current copy of their Public Liability Insurance detailing cover of $10m. Public Liability must remain valid for the life of the permit. For extensions to current trading footprints we encourage businesses to seek clarification with their insurer.

Can I activate live entertainment on my footpath or parklet?

No live entertainment or amplification equipment is permitted within the outdoor dining area without the prior written permission of Council. In the interest of creating a peak season vibe we are exploring arts and entertainment options and welcome suggestions and feedback.

What type of furniture can I use?

It’s important to ensure that your furniture is of a suitable standard and visually pleasing, contributing to the creation of an appealing streetscape. Consultation with neighbouring businesses is encouraged to consider creating a consistent look and feel for the activation. Consider weather and incorporate durable materials in to your design.

Is there a guide to how my parklet must look?

At this stage there is no rule book and we encourage businesses that want to pursue this option to be creative and forward considered proposals. Consider patron comfort, heating, cooling and shade are all possibilities. Managing physically distanced groups should be front of mind.

What are the Footpath Trading conditions?

You can find our conditions on our website here We encourage you to submit your proposal so we can assess what is possible.

How much will this cost?

Footpath Trading Permit fees can be found at fees and charges.

What about the furniture costs?

The cost of setup is to be borne by the business. Considering current indoor patron caps, you may perhaps repurpose existing indoor furniture for outdoor use. There are a number of local hire companies that can offer services. Council are exploring options for equipment supply.

Is there a QR Code service that I can use?

The Victorian Government has launched a QR Code Service that is free for all Victorian businesses and venues. These records help contact tracers in the event a positive case of coronavirus (COVID-19) is identified.


Additional resources can be found here: