Skip to main content

Business Permits

If you are starting up or running a business in Bass Coast Shire, you may need different permits and registrations.

Permits and registration are needed for:

  • Footpath Trading - all trading on community footpaths. There are three types of Footpath Trading Permits:
    • Advertising sign (A-Frame) Permit
    • Display of Goods Permit
    • Outdoor Dining Permit (includes tables and chairs, windbreaks, umbrellas and heaters)
  • Beauty Therapy Businesses - all new hairdressing, skin penetration, tattooing, beauty therapy, electrolysis and ear piercing businesses must register before operating.
  • Food Premises - All Victorian food business that handle, prepare, package, store, serve, supply or convey food must be registered with Council.

For further permit and registration costs please visit our fees and charges page.

You may require other permits to:

  • operate a home-based business
  • put up signs (other than an A-Frame on the footpath) to advertise your business
  • run an accommodation business

If you wish to do any of the above, please contact our Statutory Planning Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211 for further information.

Please ensure all sections of the application are completed and any documents are attached with the application. Please email your footpath trading application to or hand in your application at one of our customer service centres.