If you are starting up or running a business in Bass Coast Shire, you may need different permits and registrations.
We have been working with the Victorian Government to streamline this process.
For information regarding application fees and permit costs, please visit our fees and charges page.
Permits and registration are needed for:
- Footpath Trading - all trading on community footpaths. There are three types of Footpath Trading Permits:
- Advertising sign (A-Frame) Permit
- Display of Goods Permit
- Outdoor Dining Permit (includes tables and chairs, windbreaks, umbrellas and heaters)
- Beauty Therapy Businesses - all new hairdressing, skin penetration, tattooing, beauty therapy, electrolysis and ear piercing businesses must register before operating.
- Food Premises - All Victorian food business that handle, prepare, package, store, serve, supply or convey food must be registered with Council.
You may require other permits to:
- operate a home-based business
- put up signs (other than an A-Frame on the footpath) to advertise your business
- run an accommodation business
If you wish to do any of the above, please contact our Statutory Planning Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211 for further information.
Domestic Animal Business
If you answer yes to any of the following questions you'll likely need a Domestic Animal Business Permit:
- Do you intend to open a pet shop?
- Do you intend to open an animal shelter?
- Do you intend to conduct boarding (kennel, cattery or home boarding)?
- Do you intend on breeding dogs / cats?
- Do you intend on breeding, boarding or training Greyhounds?
To ascertain if a permit is required with Council, please click on the link below. This will provide information from Animal Welfare Victoria in regards to permit requirements.
To make the application process easier, before applying, please ensure that you have:
- A copy of the type of records that will be kept in relation to each animal association with the Domestic Animal Business Permit.
For further information, or to obtain an application form, please contact the Community Safety Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278).
Click here to visit the Fees & Charges page to view the permit fees.