Skip to main content
Customer Service Summer FAQs Banner

Customer Service Summer FAQs

Here are some of the most common enquiries we receive over summer.

How can I log a customer request?

If you have a question, complaint or need more information on a subject or issue, please contact us via our Customer Portal.

To log a request via our Customer Portal, visit

Bin collection days

Over summer we have the following changes to the waste services provided to residents and visitors depending on your zone, from 26 December to 29 January.

  • Weekly Organics (green lid) collection
  • Weekly Recycling (yellow lid) collection
  • Fortnightly Landfill (red lid) collection

Your Kerbside Bin Collection Calendars tell you what day your bins are collected in each zone, where your nearest transfer station is located and also includes a helpful guide to which bin to use.

Waste facilities at Wonthaggi, Grantville and Cowes are open seven days per week, and Inverloch Saturday to Monday.

For more information, visit

Where do I collect my green caddy liners?

Caddy liners are available free of charge from:

Council's Customer Service Centres

  • Wonthaggi, Cowes and Grantville from 10.00am to 3.00pm (Monday - Friday)
  • Inverloch from 10.00am to 4.00pm (Monday - Sunday)

Visitor Information Centres

  • Inverloch, Cowes, Newhaven from 9.30am to 4.30pmseven days a week.

Waste Facilities (excluding Cowes Recycle Bank)

Alternatively, newspapers can be used in the kitchen caddy or you can put food waste straight into your Organics Bin, there is no requirement for it to be wrapped.

Some local supermarkets do stock a range of compostable bags - these are not accepted in Council's kerbside Organics Bins unless they are the same bright green colour as Council-supplied caddy liners and carry the Australian standard code AS4736.

Do I need a permit to build a shed?

For information on planning permits for building a shed, fence a dwelling and more, visit

Where can I walk my dog off leash?

In all public places in Bass Coast dogs must be on a lead at all times, unless in a designated off-leash area.

There are regular patrols to make sure that dogs are registered and on a leash.

For information on where you can walk your dog off leash, visit

What are the noise restrictions?

Whether you are making noise or are being affected by another person’s noisy activities there are things you can do to keep the peace.

For information on residential and commercial noise, visit

Where are Council’s Customer Service Centres?

Council Customer Service Centres and Opening Hours

Wonthaggi Civic Centre

  • 76 McBride Avenue, Wonthaggi VIC 3995
  • Open from 10.00am to 3.00pm (Monday - Friday)

Cowes Customer Service Office

  • 154-156 Thompson Avenue, Cowes VIC 3922
  • Open from 10.00am to 3.00pm (Monday - Friday)

Grantville Transaction Centre

  • 1504-1510 Bass Highway, Grantville VIC 3984
  • Open from 10.00am to 3.00pm (Monday - Friday)

Inverloch Community Hub

  • 16 A'Beckett Street, Inverloch VIC 3996
  • Open from 10.00am to 4.00pm (Monday - Friday)
Burning Off Guidelines and Fire Danger Period

For information on the Bass Coast Burning Off Guidelines and Fire Danger Period, visit

For CFA guides on what you can and can't do during the Fire Danger Period or on days of total fire ban, visit

Events Calendar

For information on events happening around Bass Coast from markets, movies, sports, live music, kids activities and more, visit

Engage Bass Coast

Engage Bass Coast is home for all of our community engagement opportunities and projects.

Information is readily available, easy to navigate and up to date.

You can also follow and engage with any projects that interest you, just by hitting the ‘follow’ button.

For more information, visit