Skip to main content

How to apply/before you start

All organisations, individuals and community groups that sell food and beverages are required to register with a Victorian Council under the Food Act 1984 (the Act).

Council has developed a new food premises kit to assist businesses in meeting the requirements of the Food Act and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. This document provides guidance on business classifications, food safety programs and food safety supervisor requirements, construction guidelines and information of mobile food vehicles and Streatrader links.

An application form for registration under the Act must be completed and submitted to Council with the appropriate fee.

Registration of premises covers a 12 month period each year from 1 January, or the date the business commences operation, through to 31 December. In October of each year a renewal of registration form is sent out to all businesses, along with a request for payment of the annual registration fee. This form must be completed and returned to Council along with payment.

Businesses and community groups that operate a mobile premises, such as a van or stall, must also hold a current registration on Streatrader; the state-wide notification system for temporary and mobile food sales.

If you are purchasing an existing food business, you must complete a business permit application.

You may contact Council to arrange an extra inspection before settlement takes place. Council requires a minimum of seven day's notice to conduct an inspection and to arrange and issue the necessary registration paperwork.