Skip to main content

Food Premises & Food Safety

Our Environmental Health Team is responsible for the registration and regulation of food premises and food vehicles in the Shire. They check that the premises and vehicles in which food is prepared, stored, transported or sold complies with standards that ensure the food is safe, of high quality and free from contamination and adulteration.

They also investigate consumer complaints concerning contaminated foods, unclean premises or vehicles, or unsatisfactory food handling practices.

I have purchased food that I think is contaminated or suspicious - what should I do?

Place the food in a plastic bag, freeze it and contact a Health Officer as soon as possible on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.

I want to sell food, what do I need to do?

All outlets that sell food, including stalls organised by community groups for fundraising, must have their food selling operation classed into one of several food premises risk classifications. This is a requirement under the Food Act 1984. Please contact us for further information about how to classify your food selling operation.

Setting up a food business?

Visit the Business Victoria website for all the information you'll need to set up a food business.