Skip to main content

Food Poisoning and complaints

Our Environmental Health Officers play an important role in ensuring food prepared and sold within the shire is safe for human consumption. We undertake food safety activities including:

  • Inspection of Food Act registered businesses including markets
  • Routine food sampling
  • Providing food safety advice and resources to food businesses, community groups and the general public
  • Investigation of food borne illnesses
  • Registration of new food businesses

Food Poisoning and Complaints

Sometimes the food we eat can make us ill. This is caused by food being handled incorrectly and unsafely resulting in contamination from food poisoning bacteria such as Salmonella and Campylobacter.

Food poisoning can sometimes occur up to 72 hours after consuming a contaminated food with symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea, nausea, headaches and abdominal cramps. These symptoms will last for varying lengths of time depending on the cause of your illness. Some people, such as the elderly or young, are more susceptible to becoming ill from food poisoning bacteria.

There are 5.4 million cases of food poisoning each year in Australia. Approximately one third are caused by bad food handling practices in the home. Anyone suspecting they are suffering from food poisoning should consult a doctor for medical advice and treatment. The GP may take a sample to determine the cause of the illness and these results can be referred on to the Environmental Health Office via the Department of Human Services for further investigation.

If food that has been purchased is the suspected cause of the food poisoning it is important to contact council on 03 5671 2211 and provide relevant information for further investigation. All reports are treated seriously and confidentially for both the complainant and the business involved.

Aside from food poisoning, other issues can arise with food such as contamination with foreign objects or witnessing unsafe food handling practices within food businesses. To report a food complaint please contact Bass Coast Shire Council. These reports are kept confidential.