Skip to main content

Accommodation and Caravan Parks

Prescribed Accommodation

Premises where more than five persons (who are not part of the proprietor's family) are accommodated, must be registered with Council under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 and Public Health and Wellbeing (Prescribed Accommodation) Regulations 2020.

Premises which must be registered as prescribed accommodation include:

  • Residential accommodation
  • Bed and breakfasts
  • Motels
  • Rooming houses
  • Holiday camps
  • Hostels
  • Student dormitory

Exempted premises are listed in the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009 which excludes premises that have exclusive occupation such as short stay accommodation (beach houses).

Premises registration is required to be renewed annually. Annual inspections are conducted by Environmental Health Officers to assess compliance with overcrowding, maintenance and cleanliness, water supply, waste disposal, toilet and bathing facilities.

For more information refer to our Prescribed Accommodation Factsheet

To apply for registration complete the application at the bottom of the page

Short Stay Accommodation

A premises operating as short stay accommodation may need to register with Council. For more information check our Short Stay Accommodation page.

Rooming Houses

Premises with (4) or more unrelated persons paying rent or other payment of consideration must be registered with Council

Rooming Houses are required to comply with the Residential Tenancies (Rooming House Standards) Regulations 2012. Registered Rooming Houses will be listed on the statewide Rooming House Register that is overseen by Consumer Affairs Victoria. Environmental Health Officers routinely inspect premises for compliance in the areas of cleanliness, hygiene and overcrowding.

Caravan Parks

The operation of a Caravan Park requires registration with Council under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 and the Residential Tenancies (Caravan Parks and Movable Dwellings Registration and Standards) Regulations 2020.

Premises registration is required to be renewed every 3 years on 1 October.

Caravan parks are inspected by Environmental Health Officers prior to opening a new caravan park and prior to registration being renewed.

Environmental Health Officers to check compliance with:

  • Visitor amenities, ablutions
  • Cleanliness of sites, rental cabins and vans
  • Potable drinking water supplies
  • Basic fire safety measures
  • Emergency management plans
  • Maintenance of grounds, provision of lighting and general access
  • Refuse disposal
  • Wastewater management
  • Structure compliance
  • Record keeping

Caravan Park Schedule of Works

A schedule of works between the Council and the caravan park owner may be required to meet the requirements of the fire safety or amenity requirements. The schedule of works will set out the required works and timelines for their completion.

Click here to view the Schedule of Works sample document.

Installation of Structures in Caravan Parks

The installation of rigid annexes and unregisterable movable dwellings requires the notification to Council's Environmental Health Team using a Notification of Installation of a structure in a caravan park form. This notification must be signed and submitted by the caravan park operator or owner.

Installations must comply with the Residential Tenancies (Caravan Parks and Movable Dwellings Registration and Standards) Regulations 2020 and associated Australian Standards and building regulations.

Caravan Park Fire Safety

Private residents may refer to the Caravan Park Fire Safety page on the Country Fire Authority website for more details.