Skip to main content

Flood and Storms

Severe storms and flooding can occur at any time of the year across the municipality. Large areas of Bass Coast may be subjected to flooding.

Storms and floods can cause damage to public and private infrastructure. Some storms and floods may be more localised or they may be larger.

You should ascertain whether or not you live in a low lying area or are located near a waterway where there is a history of flooding. The Victoria State Emergency Service (VICSES), have developed a number of Local Flood Guides for residents and businesses to explain local flood risks and advise on how to prepare for and respond to flood events.

Our Flood and Storm Plan Municipal Flood and Storm Emergency Plan has been developed by a Committee of expert representatives including VICSES, Bass Coast Shire Council, Victoria Police and VicRoads.

The Plan ensures that individuals and government agencies within our Shire are aware of potential flood risks and understand their roles and responsibilities and details arrangements for the mitigation (prevention and preparedness), response to and recovery from floods within our Shire.

There are a number of factors we recommend you consider when preparing for storms and floods:

  • Develop an emergency kit
  • Familiarise yourself with severe storm categories
  • Check weather reports and storm and flood warnings
  • Download the VicEmergency App
  • Plan what to do before, during and after a storm or flood
  • Consider your insurance Victorian Government: Insure It

Understanding warnings and how to prepare your home SES: FloodSafe and SES: StormSafe

For flood or storm assistance call the VicSES on 132 500. Call 000 Triple-0 for life threatening emergencies.

The VicEmergency website and App provides emergency warnings and information for all hazards.

Reporting Drainage Issues

Urgent drainage issues can be lodged with Council 24 hours a day by calling 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.

Flooding on Major Roads

If there is flooding anywhere on main roads (e.g. Bass Highway or the Phillip Island Tourist Road) then affected residents should call VicRoads on 13 11 7 or visit VicRoads website for road closures and traffic alerts.

Observe Road Closed Signs

Avoid unnecessary travel. Drive slowly, obey all roadblocks and never drive through floodwater. Visit the VicRoads Website for road closure information.

For further information relating to flooding, visit the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Better Health Channel or Vic SES websites.

Related Information

Ausnet Services has a webpage dedicated to assisting residents to deal with power outages Power Outages Guide