Skip to main content

Relief and Recovery Centres

Relief Centres

An Emergency Relief Centre (ERC) is a temporary place situated away from the location of the emergency and is only opened if the decision to open an ERC is made by Victoria Police. The location of a relief centre is only advertised to the community after all details of the emergency situation are known. An ERC provides basic services and supports to affected individuals and families. An ERC is not a refuge or recovery centre, it is a place where affected individuals can go to:

  • get emergency information,
  • reconnect with their community,
  • register their details on Register Find Reunite, and
  • access relief support services to assist with their immediate needs.

An ERC can become very busy, and while staff working in the ERC are there to assist you and your family, it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of any children in your care. Emergency Relief Centres are not ideal for pets and livestock and as you may be separated from them if you bring them. It is best that you include alternatives for your animals when planning for an emergency.

If an ERC is opened, it will be some time after the emergency has started. Notifications about the opening of an ERC is usually done through the VicEmergency App, by tuning your radio to ABC 828AM or 100.7FM or ABC Listen App and through Council channels such as Facebook and our website.

If you are relocating during an emergency you are encouraged to go to family and friends in a location well away from the emergency area.

Virtual Emergency Relief Centre

In light of COVID 19, all levels of government have reviewed how they will respond to emergencies, particularly the emergency relief processes. Council's preference will be to provide emergency relief information and services virtually.

In the event that a Virtual Emergency Relief Centre is activated, this link will be made live and take you to further information.

Register Find Reunite (RFR)

Should you go to an Emergency Relief Centre or if you relocate to another location, you should take the time to register you and your family’s details on Australian Red Cross' Register Find Reunite (RFR). By registering on RFR your family and close friends will be able to find out basic information about your safety and whereabouts if they cannot contact you directly.

Recovery Centres

A recovery centre may be opened after a major emergency, depending on the severity, to provide information and referrals to an emergency-affected community.