Community Profile and Statistics
The Bass Coast Community Profile can be used to analyse community characteristics, compare areas and understand how they have changed over time. Information includes age and gender profiles, multicultural diversity, housing and family types, incomes, education, employment and family composition for selected areas and Building Permit statistics.
The Economic Profile contains economic and demographic information for Bass Coast. The data presented references industries, workers, tourism and trends. Data includes information on employment, wages and salaries, exports and imports, visitor spend and building approvals. Data is available in tables and/or graphs and is easily exported as required.
Our Community Atlas provides a range of interactive maps including maps on population, ethnicity, education, household type, labour force, how people travel to work, housing tenure and cost, and computer use to compliment the information in community profile.
The Community Forecast looks at Bass Coast's projected growth over the next 20 years. Data is presented in simple, clear tables and charts with concise factual commentary. Forecast is designed to inform community groups, Council, investors, business, students and the general public.
The Census, which takes place every five years, provides a snapshot of Australia's people and their housing - information that Council uses to make informed decisions on what services and facilities our community need. Visit the Australian Bureau of Statistics website at www.abs.gov.au for more information.
Some fast facts on what changed or trended between the 2011 and 2016 Census are as follows:
- Our resident population, counted during the 2016 Census, was 32,804 (2011: 29,614)
- Average annual growth since last Census was 2.15%
- The resident population for Phillip Island was counted at 10,387 (2.09% annual growth)
- The resident population for mainland Bass Coast was counted at 22,228 (2% annual growth).
- The age group with the most population is 60-64 years (2,713 persons).
- The predominant family type is "couples without children" (49.5%)
- The average household size for the Shire is 2.2 persons.
- The median age of people residing here is 50 years (up from 45 in 2011 Census)
- The median rental per week in Bass Coast is $250 (highest $289 Sunset Strip; lowest $125 Woolamai). The Victorian median is $325.
- The median individual weekly income is $507 (highest $629 Wattle Bank; lowest $428 Bass). The Victorian median is $644.
- The median monthly housing loan repayment is $1,315 compared to the Victorian median of $1,715.