About our cemeteries
We look after the Wonthaggi and San Remo Cemeteries on behalf of the Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services.
Our responsibilities for these cemeteries include:
- reservations, plaques and memorial permits
- arranging the maintenance of cemetery grounds and preparation of graves
- record keeping and reporting
- provision of information from records to members of the public (in accordance with the Privacy Act)
- planning for future cemetery needs
Both cemeteries provide burials in either lawn and monumental sections or the interment of ashes in a niche wall and memorial gardens.
If you would like more information about the burial of a family member, please be aware many records were kept on a voluntary basis in the past, so some records are not complete. There is also information that may not be available due to privacy requirements under the Cemeteries Act.
You can enquire via email at email@example.com.
Who is the contact for my local cemetery?
For more information on the Wonthaggi and San Remo Cemeteries, including costings, please contact the Cemeteries and Council Committees Officer on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.
The other five cemeteries within Bass Coast Shire are managed by Trusts. Visit the Victorian Department of Health's website to find the fees and locations of cemeteries and cemetery trusts.
Wonthaggi Cemetery Trust and San Remo Cemetery Trust Meetings
We hold Special Council Meetings to deal with Wonthaggi Cemetery Trust business and San Remo Cemetery Trust business.
- 15 April 2020 - Heritage Centre, 89 Thompson Avenue, Cowes
- 19 August 2020 - Council Chamber, Bass Coast Civic Centre, Baillieu Street East, Wonthaggi
- 18 November 2020 - Council Chamber, Bass Coast Civic Centre, Baillieu Street East, Wonthaggi
Friends of Wonthaggi and San Remo Cemeteries
Community volunteers play a vital role in maintaining our cemeteries. If you would like to assist with garden and grounds maintenance at either San Remo or Wonthaggi Cemetery, please contact our Cemeteries and Council Committees Officer on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.