Skip to main content

Planning Permits

You may need a Planning Permit for vegetation removal, building works, subdivision and other land uses or developments.

Please use the checklists towards the middle of this page to see if you may need a Planning Permit. If you still have questions please contact our Planning Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211 to discuss your plans.

Advertising of Planning Permit Applications

Applicants are required to provide notice by mail.

Copied documents are made available here for the sole purpose of enabling its consideration and review as part of a planning process under the Planning and Environment Act 1987. The documents must not be used for any purpose which may breach any copyright.

Once advertising applications are complete, (a decision made), all documentation will be removed from Council's web page.

Objecting to a Planning Permit Application

Submissions/objections (positive and negative) are accepted up until a decision is made on the application.

The Planning Objection/Submissions Form is available to guide your submission but hand written submissions and emails submitted to Council are also accepted.

Please note that submissions are made available to the public.

If you would like to be kept up to date regarding the progress of a particular application, please provide an email address and/or phone contact in your submission.


A petition or joint letter which deals with a planning application or a planning scheme amendment currently before Council under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 will be treated as a submission to that planning application or that planning scheme amendment and will not be treated as a petition or joint letter.

A petition or joint letter is only considered as one objection in accordance with the Meeting Procedure Local Law 2009. It is normal practice for the 'first named' person on a petition to be the formal contact for acknowledgement.

Non-Statutory Planning Fees

Non-Statutory fees are set by Council and include applications for Secondary Consent, Planning Information Requests, Extension of Time to a Permit, Requests for copies of permits and plans, and advertising applications to neighbours.

Statutory Planning Fees

Statutory fees for Planning Permits, Section 72 Amendments and Subdivision are set by the State Government and is the same across all Victorian Councils. Please refer to the below attachments to see the latest fees:

Pre-application service

What pre-application service is offered?

Our pre-application discussion is an opportunity to speak with one of our Statutory Planners before your formal planning permit application is lodged with Council. Pre-application discussions may include a telephone conversation, a face-to-face/virtual meeting or e-mail correspondence. This service highlights all the required information/plans/reports and is designed to comply with the Bass Coast planning regulations.

Please use the following link to lodge a request: Planning Pre-Application Advice

What type of applications can I obtain pre-application advice for?

  • All Applications

    Verbal advice can be provided by our Duty Planner Monday to Friday by calling Customer Service on 5671 2211. If the planner deems the matter to be more complex you may be advised to lodge one of the below applications.
  • Minor applications
    • Alterations and extensions (buildings and works)
    • VicSmart
    • Parking waiver/reduction
    • Liquor license applications
    • Removal of vegetation including Native Vegetation and sites in a VPO

      Verbal advice (no charge) and a checklist of outstanding information or preliminary concerns can be provided.
  • Intermediate applications
    • 1-3 dwellings
    • 2 lot subdivisions
    • Change of use
    • Amending/ending Section 173 Agreements

      Verbal advice (no charge) and a checklist of outstanding information or preliminary concerns can be provided.

      A face-to-face/virtual meeting will be at the discretion of planning officers, and you must provide sketches and concept elevations and floor plans to ensure the meeting is productive.
  • Major applications
    • 4+ dwellings
    • Use and development
    • Mixed-use / new commercial development
    • 3+ lot subdivisions
    • Existing use rights

      Verbal advice (no charge) and a checklist of outstanding information or preliminary concerns can be provided.

      A face-to-face/virtual meeting will be at the discretion of planning officers, and you must provide sketches and concept elevations and floor plans to ensure the meeting is productive.

How much does this service cost?

Bass Coast Shire Council recognises that each planning application is unique and each site faces a particular set of constraints and opportunities. Pre-application advice is a complimentary service offered to assist permit applicants with their next project.

What do I need to provide?

To ensure an efficient and effective service, we ask that you provide as much information as possible with your request. A lack of plans and information will result in minimal feedback being able to be provided which will add delays to your project. Please ensure you provide:

  • A detailed cover letter outlining what is proposed e.g. demolition, change of use, buildings and works, signage, car parking reduction, native vegetation removal.
  • Site Plan*
  • Floor Plans (concept)*
  • Elevations (concept)*
  • Photographs of the site
  • For change of use or liquor licence applications please provide the liquor licence type being sought, hours of operation, number of patrons and staff, surrounding uses.

    *For help on what these plans look like please refer to Information Sheet 3 on this webpage.

When can I expect a response?

With the exception of verbal advice provided over the phone when you call our Duty Planner, a response can be expected within 2 weeks from the date it is allocated to a Statutory Planner.

Can I have a meeting with a Council planner?

In order to ensure current/active planning applications are processed efficiently requests for pre-application meetings will be at the discretion of the planner allocated the request. Some matters may be considered minor and straightforward which can more effectively be discussed over the phone.

Can I have written advice provided by a Council planner?

Due to the application being preliminary in nature written advice is generally not provided and will be at the discretion of the planning officer for Intermediate and Major applications only. However, we will be able to provide a checklist of required information to assist with your future submission.

VicSmart - Fast track your permit in 10 days

VicSmart is a simple, straightforward option for low impact planning applications with a processing time of 10 business days.

To be eligible for VicSmart please refer to the VicSmart checklist below or visit the following website. You can also discuss your application with a member of our Planning Team so they can confirm your eligibility. They can also help guide you with any documents you may need to make sure that your application can be processed without any delays.

Contact our Planning Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.

Can I change my Planning Permit?

Yes you can, but it depends if your permit has been issued.

If your Application is still being processed:

Lodge a Section 50/50A/57A Application to Amend an Undecided Planning Permit. If your application has already been advertised to your neighbours additional fees (40% of the original application cost) may be payable.

If a Planning Permit has been issued:

You can lodge a Section 72 Application to Amend a Planning Permit for significant design changes or modifications to permit conditions or what the permit allows.

You can lodge a Secondary Consent application for minor alterations to endorsed plans that form part of a Planning Permit, provided the application meets certain criteria. This includes ensuring that the proposal is not:

  • a transformation of the permit to use or develop the land that was not previously considered and approved.
  • proposing changes that require a planning permit or which are contrary to any specific condition in the original permit.
  • altering the description of what is allowed by the permit and any permit conditions cannot be altered by Secondary Consent.

There is no provision for public consultation or advertising. As such the Secondary Consent provision is not appropriate where the changes may result in material detriment to the surrounding area.

An application for Secondary Consent is not immediately approved, Planning Officers must consider a number of matters including those above.

The Responsible Authority (Council) reserves the right to not approve the proposed amendment under Secondary Consent if it considers that the amendments contradict any of the above criteria. If it is decided that the changes cannot be approved under Secondary Consent, a Planning Officer will advise you how to apply for a permit amendment or a new permit and pay the difference in fees.

Please contact our Planning Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211 to discuss your plans.

Extension of Time for your Planning Permit

You can apply for an extension of time on your permit provided it hasn't already expired.

Planning Information request

Please provide the completed form, copy of title (dated within 3 months of the request) and site plans. A fee applies and must be paid at the time of lodging your request.

Planning Document File Search

Use this form if you need a copy of:

  • old planning permits
  • an officer's report
  • endorsed/approved plans

It can take 3-5 business days to retrieve hard-copy files and an additional 1 week to process your request.

Section 173 Agreements

A Section 173 Agreement is a legal contract made between Council and another party or parties under Section 173 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987. A landowner is normally the other party to the Agreement, while in some cases a third party, such as a referral authority, may also be involved.

A Section 173 Agreement may be used, for example:

  • To allow the subdivision of the land to occur prior to the completion of the development of the land in accordance with an approved development permit
  • To prevent the further subdivision of land
  • To prevent a dwelling being constructed on a new rural lot created by subdivision
  • To provide for the provision of infrastructure
  • To provide ongoing protection and management of native vegetation or to require implementation of Offset Management Plan
  • To require ongoing implementation of an approved Land Management Plan
  • To establish monetary contributions for road construction.

A Section 173 Agreement is usually prepared by a solicitor with cost of preparing agreements met by the applicant.

An example of an Agreement layout is available to download below, as a guide only. We encourage you to seek your own legal advice when preparing a Section 173 Agreement.

For more information or to discuss a Section 173 Agreement please contact our Planning Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.

Section 173 Agreement process

First steps:

  • Submit a draft Section 173 Agreement for assessment to
  • Once this has been assessed, we will let you know if there are any changes required, or provide consent to proceed

Once you have consent:

Once you have received consent, you will need to provide the following via post to Bass Coast Shire Council Planning Team, PO Box 118, Wonthaggi 3995.

  • Three hard copy signed Section 173 Agreements (these must be printed single sided and only stapled in top left hand corner – not bound)
  • A Client Authorisation Formfor signing

Next steps:

  • Once received, all documentation is prepared and signed by our Chief Executive Officer
  • Documentation will then be returned by post to the you for lodgement purposes at the Titles Office

At this time, we are unable to provide timeframes for this process.

Amending or Ending a Section 173 Agreement

You can apply to Council to amend or end a Section 173 Agreement on a land title (fees apply).

The process for applying to amend or end an agreement is set out in the Information Sheet and relevant application forms below.

For more information on amending or ending a Section 173 Agreement please contact our Planning Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.

Appealing a planning decision

If you disagree with Council's decision on a planning application, you can lodge an appeal with the Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). Details are provided on the reverse side of the notice you will have received either as an applicant or a submitter to a specific planning permit application. Timelines for appeals do apply, so please read your copy of the notice carefully.

Council's decision on a planning application can be:

  • a Notice of Refusal
  • a Notice of Decision to Grant a Permit.
  • to issue a Planning Permit

Further details and information can be found on VCAT's website at or phone 1300 018 228.

Land Management Plan

Your planning permit may include a condition that requires you to submit a Land Management Plan to Council. This will need to be endorsed by Council as part of your planning permit application.

A Land Management Plan template and guide have been developed to help you create your own plan or you can get a consultant to do it on your behalf.