Skip to main content

Extend or alter your home

What is considered an extension or alteration?

An extension is an addition or increase in the floor area of an existing dwelling, for example adding an additional storey or ground floor room.

An alteration can involve internal or external changes to an existing dwelling without an increase in the floor area, for example changing the materials of any walls.

Internal rearrangements which do not increase the overall floor area, building size or number of dwellings generally do not need a planning permit.

Domestic services (such as access ramps, sky lights, shade sales, air conditioning, security systems, downpipes etc) also generally do not need a planning permit unless the land is affected by a Heritage Overlay.

Do I need a Planning Permit for an extension or alteration?

Confirm the zoning of your land by using the VicPlan website and typing in your address. You will require a planning permit if your land is in the:

  • General Residential Zone (and less than 300sqm in area).
  • Residential Growth Zone (and less than 300 sqm in area).
  • Low Density Residential Zone (and there is more than one dwelling on the land).
  • Mixed Use Zone (and less than 300sqm in area).
  • Township Zone (and less than 300sqm in area).
You will require a planning permit if your land is in the:
  • Rural Living Zone.
  • Rural Conservation Zone.
  • Rural Activity Zone.
  • Farming Zone.
  • Affected by any overlays.
  • Has an existing planning permit.

Please contact the Statutory Planning Department on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) if you require additional guidance due to the complexities of the planning controls and exemptions which may be applicable.

What applications fees apply to this type of permit?

The cost of the application depends on the details of your application. Refer to the Bass Coast Shire Fee Schedule to see current fees.

What are building setback requirements and regulations which might affect my application?

Your architect, drafts person or building surveyor will be able to advise you of any setback requirements or regulations as part of the process of designing your extension or alteration. Council’s Statutory Planning team cannot design a proposal for you and has the role of assessing what is submitted against the requirements.

Does my application qualify for VicSmart?

To learn whether your project can be considered for VicSmart, please engage with your draftsperson or architect who will be submitting the proposal. They will be familiar with similar VicSmart applications. Alternatively, please contact our Planning Department on 1300 BCOAST (226 278).

Can't find what you're looking for and would like advice?

For more information or to discuss your planning application, contact our Urban Planning team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211