Skip to main content

Starting a business, or operating a food truck

I am starting a business, what do I need?

If you are starting up or running a business in Bass Coast Shire, you may need different permits and registrations including:

  • Footpath Trading - all trading on community footpaths. There are three types of Footpath Trading Permits:
  • Advertising sign (A-Frame) Permit
  • Display of Goods Permit
  • Outdoor Dining Permit (includes tables and chairs, windbreaks, umbrellas and heaters).
  • Beauty Therapy Businesses - all new hairdressing, skin penetration, tattooing, beauty therapy, electrolysis and ear piercing businesses must register before operating.
  • Food Premises - All Victorian food business that handle, prepare, package, store, serve, supply or convey food must be registered with Council.

Email our Business Support Team at for further assistance to get started or by calling 1300 BCOAST (226 278).

Do I need a planning permit for a home-based business?

Confirm the zoning of your land by using the VicPlan website and typing in your address. A planning permit is generally not required if your land is in the:

  • Rural Living Zone
  • Rural Conservation Zone
  • Farming Zone
  • Rural Activity Zone
  • Commercial 1 Zone
  • General Residential Zone
  • Residential Growth Zone
  • Low Density Residential Zone
  • Mixed Use Zone
  • Township Zone

You will generally not require a planning permit to use the land for a home based business subject to meeting the requirements of Clause 52.11 (Home Based Business) of the Bass Coast Planning Scheme.

Can I set up a food truck/van/vehicle?

A mobile food premises is a food premises that is a vehicle such as a food van, caravan, truck, coffee van or trailer.

Food trucks must be registered on ‘Streatrader’ a Victoria wide online system for mobile food business which allows you to apply for registration with Council, manage your renewal of registration and list when and where you will trade.

In addition, food vehicles must be registered under the Food Act 1984 as well as operate at permitted locations within Bass Coast Shire.

The Shire generally does not allow roaming food vehicles, regardless of being registered on 'Streatrader'.

Notification of proposed food sales on Streatrader is not consent to use land. This consent must be obtained from the land owner or land manager.

Do I need a planning permit for a food truck?

Public land

If the mobile food premises is on public land (i.e. Council owned land) you will likely need a Local Law permit. Please contact Council’s Community Safety Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211 or email

Private land

Pop-up food trucks or coffee cans require careful consideration around car parking, signage, waste management, liquor etc regardless of whether they are temporary or permanent.

A Planning Permit is usually required for a mobile food premises depending on the zone and overlays that affect the land, as well as whether signage and liquor is proposed.

To discuss further, please contact Council’s Statutory Planning Department using the options below.

Can't find what you're looking for and would like advice?

For more information or to discuss your planning application, contact our Statutory Planning team by:

  • Requesting a call back to speak to a planner.
  • Calling our Statutory Planning Department on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.
  • Visiting the Wonthaggi Customer Service Centre (76 McBride Avenue, Wonthaggi) between 10am and 3pm every Wednesday to speak to a planner (please note that a planner may not be available between 12pm-12:45pm).
  • Requesting a Pre-Application discussion (may include a telephone conversation, a face-to-face/virtual meeting or e-mail correspondence) before your formal planning permit application is lodged with Council. To ensure the meeting is beneficial, please ensure conceptual plans and photographs are provided along with a detailed outline of your proposal.