Skip to main content

Seeking a Subdivision

Can I subdivide my property or land I’m interested in buying?

A planning permit is required to subdivide land.

It is important to keep in mind that although a permit can be granted, it does not mean a permit will be necessarily granted.

There is no defined method to determine whether subdivision of land is possible upfront. Whether a particular parcel of land can be subdivided is ultimately determined by the planning permit application process.

In assessing the application, Council will determine whether the proposal will produce acceptable outcomes against the relevant clauses of the Bass Coast Planning Scheme, including Clause 56 Subdivision for subdivision in residential areas.

How do I find a Licensed Land Surveyor?

The Association of Consulting Surveyors is an autonomous body which represents private land surveying businesses throughout Victoria. Speak to friends or neighbours to find a Land Surveyor, alternatively you can utilise the ACSV search function on their website. Council is unable to recommend a Land Surveyor and must remain impartial as part of our duties in assessing your proposal.

What do I need to do to proceed with an application to subdivide land?

To prepare an application to subdivide land, you will need to engage a licensed surveyor.

They can lodge the application on your behalf or recommend a private Town Planning professional to act on your behalf. Other relevant professionals may need to be engaged, such as engineers or arborists.

What is the subdivision process?

Please refer to Council’s Checklist for more information on the subdivision process.

What are the fees for subdivision?

Please refer to Class 17-20 of the fee schedule to find the applicable fee.

Can't find what you're looking for and would like advice?

For more information or to discuss your planning application, contact our Statutory Planning team by:

  • Requesting a call back to speak to a planner (in most cases calls are returned on the same day and no later than 48 hours).
  • Calling our Statutory Planning Department on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211
  • Visiting the Wonthaggi Customer Service Centre (76 McBride Avenue, Wonthaggi) between 10am and 3pm every Wednesday to speak to a planner (please note that a planner may not be available between 12pm-12:45pm).
  • Requesting a Pre-Application discussion (may include a telephone conversation, a face-to-face/virtual meeting or e-mail correspondence) before your formal planning permit application is lodged with Council. To ensure the meeting is beneficial, please ensure conceptual plans and photographs are provided along with a detailed outline of your proposal before lodging.