Extend or alter your home
An extension is an addition or increase in the floor area of an existing dwelling, for example adding an additional storey or ground floor room.
An alteration can involve internal or external changes to an existing dwelling without an increase in the floor area, for example changing the materials of any walls.
Internal rearrangements which do not increase the overall floor area, building size or number of dwellings generally do not need a planning permit.
Domestic services (such as access ramps, sky lights, shade sales, air conditioning, security systems, downpipes etc) also generally do not need a planning permit unless the land is affected by a Heritage Overlay.
Confirm the zoning of your land by using the VicPlan website and typing in your address. You will require a planning permit if your land is in the:
- General Residential Zone (and less than 300sqm in area).
- Residential Growth Zone (and less than 300 sqm in area).
- Low Density Residential Zone (and there is more than one dwelling on the land).
- Mixed Use Zone (and less than 300sqm in area).
- Township Zone (and less than 300sqm in area).
- Is in a Rural Living Zone.
- Is in a Rural Conservation Zone.
- Is in a Rural Activity Zone.
- Is in a Farming Zone.
- Is affected by any overlays.
- Has an existing planning permit.
Please contact the Statutory Planning Department by lodging a request below or calling us on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) if you require additional guidance.
Your architect, drafts person or building surveyor will be able to advise you of any setback requirements or regulations as part of the process of designing your extension or alteration. Council’s Statutory Planning team cannot design a proposal for you and has the role of assessing what is submitted against the requirements.
To learn whether your project can be considered for VicSmart, please engage with your draftsperson or architect who will be submitting the proposal. They will be familiar with similar VicSmart applications. Alternatively, please contact our Planning Department on 1300 BCOAST (226 278).
For more information or to discuss your planning application, contact our Statutory Planning team by:
- Requesting a call back to speak to a planner
- Calling our Statutory Planning Department on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211
- Visiting the Wonthaggi Customer Service Centre (76 McBride Avenue, Wonthaggi) between 10am and 3pm every Wednesday to speak to a planner (please note that a planner may not be available between 12pm-12:45pm).
- Requesting a Pre-Application discussion (may include a telephone conversation, a face-to-face/virtual meeting or e-mail correspondence) before your formal planning permit application is lodged with Council. To ensure the meeting is beneficial, please ensure conceptual plans and photographs are provided along with a detailed outline of your proposal.