Skip to main content

Displaying a Sign

Do I need a planning permit to display a sign?

Depending on the zone, type, and size of the sign, certain types of applications do not a require planning permit.

For example, in the Commercial 1 Zone, a business identification sign does not need a planning permit if the total display area of all signs to each premises does not exceed 8sqm. However, in the Farming Zone, a business identification sign requires a planning permit, while if signs are more than 3sqm in area, it is prohibited.

Please note, in a Heritage Overlay any type of sign requires a planning permit.

To discuss further, please contact Council’s Statutory Planning Department on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211 or email

What do I need to submit to lodge a planning permit application?

Refer to Council’s Checklist on Signs for more information.

Is my application eligible for VicSmart?

Most signs are eligible for VicSmart (except those which may cause amenity impacts including but not limited to internally illumined, electronic, animated or floodlit). Refer to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning VicSmart website for more information.

What are the fees to lodge a sign application?

Refer to Class 11 of the fee schedule on Council’s website for the applicable fee, or Class 7-10 for VicSmart applications.

Can't find what you're looking for and would like advice?

For more information or to discuss your planning application, contact our Planning team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211