Skip to main content

Building two or more dwellings

Can I build a second dwelling on my land or build two or more dwellings on land?

Planning and building permits are respectively required to develop land in a way that will result in two or more dwellings on a given parcel of land. This includes constructing a dwelling to the rear of an existing, or constructing two dwellings on a vacant parcel.

It is important to keep in mind that although a permit can be granted, it does mean a permit will be necessarily granted in your case. Council must assess all the relevant information during the application process before a decision can be made. Council will determine whether the proposal will produce acceptable outcomes against the relevant clauses of the Bass Coast Planning Scheme. It is therefore not possible to advise whether an application will be supported before it a decision is made.

How many houses can I get on my block?

There is no defined method to determine how many dwellings can be developed on a parcel of land. Whether a particular design, including number of dwellings, is appropriate will be determined during the permit application process. You are advised to speak with your draftsperson or architect to get an indication of what may be possible as it depends on the design and how they work within the constraints of the land.

Do I need to engage a consultant to put together an application?

Many applicants engage a draftsperson/architect or planning consultant to put together an application given the complexities in navigating the various controls which may apply to the land, as well as the potential of receiving objections by neighbours. A higher quality application will generally lead to faster processing times. It will also ensure a clear line of communication between the Council allocated planner should there be any issues raised with your submission.

Can't find what you're looking for and would like advice?

For more information or to discuss your planning application, contact our Statutory Planning team by:

  • Requesting a call back to speak to a planner
  • Calling our Statutory Planning Department on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211
  • Visiting the Wonthaggi Customer Service Centre (76 McBride Avenue, Wonthaggi) between 10am and 3pm every Wednesday to speak to a planner (please note that a planner may not be available between 12pm-12:45pm).
  • Requesting a Pre-Application discussion (may include a telephone conversation, a face-to-face/virtual meeting or e-mail correspondence) before your formal planning permit application is lodged with Council. To ensure the meeting is beneficial, please ensure conceptual plans and photographs are provided along with a detailed outline of your proposal.