Skip to main content

Building a single dwelling

Do I need a planning permit?

Generally, you will not need a planning permit to construct a single dwelling if the lot is greater than 300 square metres in area and in the General Residential Zone or Residential Growth Zone. However, this is subject to any other Overlays on the land and no existing planning permit having been previously issued.

To discuss whether your proposal requires a planning permit, contact our Planning Department on 1300 BCOAST (226 278). If you require written advise please submit a Planning Information Request with the applicable fee and details.

What applications fees apply to this type of permit?

The cost of the application depends on the estimated cost of works. Refer to Class 2-6 the Bass Coast Shire Fee Schedule to see current fees.

Is my application eligible for VicSmart?

A new dwelling is generally not eligible for VicSmart due to the potential for amenity impacts to neighbours and the need for a more detailed assessment.

Can't find what you're looking for and would like advice?

For more information or to discuss your planning application, contact our Statutory Planning team by:

  • Requesting a call back to speak to a planner.
  • Calling our Statutory Planning Department on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.
  • Visiting the Wonthaggi Customer Service Centre (76 McBride Avenue, Wonthaggi) between 10am and 3pm every Wednesday to speak to a planner (please note that a planner may not be available between 12pm-12:45pm).
  • Requesting a Pre-Application discussion (may include a telephone conversation, a face-to-face/virtual meeting or e-mail correspondence) before your formal planning permit application is lodged with Council. To ensure the meeting is beneficial, please ensure conceptual plans and photographs are provided along with a detailed outline of your proposal.