Skip to main content

Building a fence

I want to replace a boundary fence, what do I need to do?

Boundary fencing is regulated at the State level. The Fences Act 1968 contains rules about who pays for a dividing fence, the type of fence to be built, notices that neighbours need to give one another, and how to resolve potential disputes when discussing fencing works with a neighbour.

If you have questions about boundary fences refer to the Disputes Settlement Centre of Victoria website.

Council is not the regulator for boundary fencing. However, if your land is affected by certain overlays (e.g. Heritage Overlay or Land Subject to Inundation Overlay), a Planning Permit is generally required for replaced fencing.

I have a fencing dispute with my neighour

Council is not involved in such disputes. The Victorian Government’s Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria have information on issues and disputes on boundary fencing on their website. Alternatively, please call them on 1300 372 888.

What is a Notice to Fence?

A Notice to Fence sets out your proposal for construction or repair of a dividing fence or other works. You will need to fill out information about:

  • the line on which the works should be carried out (the boundary line)
  • the type of works
  • the contractor
  • a cost estimate, and
  • how much neighbours should contribute.

You can hand the Notice to Fence to your neighbour directly but it is recommended you utilise registered post, so you can show that you actually sent it and the day it was received.

How do I obtain my neighbours details?

Council’s Customer Service Department can provide the name and address of adjoining property owners for the purpose of contacting them to construct or repair a fence. To comply with Privacy laws, you will need to complete a Fencing Information Form and return it to The form is also available from our Customer Service Centres. You will need to provide proof of identification when you lodge the form.

Can't find what you're looking for and would like advice?

For more information or to discuss your planning application, contact our Statutory Planning team by:

  • Requesting a call back to speak to a planner
  • Calling our Statutory Planning Department on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211
  • Visiting the Wonthaggi Customer Service Centre (76 McBride Avenue, Wonthaggi) between 10am and 3pm every Wednesday to speak to a planner (please note that a planner may not be available between 12pm-12:45pm).