Skip to main content
COVID-19 Support
Support information and resources during the current Pandemic
COVID-19 Support

Swimming Pools and Spas

What you need to do

Register your pool or spa

From 1 December 2019, if you have a permanent or relocatable swimming pool or spa, you need to register it through your local council by 1 November 2020 . The registration fee is:

  • $79 for a swimming pool and spa constructed before 1 November 2020
  • $31.80 for swimming pool and spa constructed on or after 1 November 2020

The Victorian Government has recently extended the registration date from 1 June 2020 to 1 November 2020.

The deadline extension announced by the Minister for Planning is in recognition of the significant impact the coronavirus (COVID- 19) pandemic has had not only on Victorians, but the operations of local councils. This extension will give homeowners more time to meet their registration obligations in these challenging times.

Certify your safety barriers

Once you've registered your pool or spa, we can let you know which safety barrier standards apply to you. This will depend on when your pool or spa was built.

You’ll then need to ask a registered building surveyor or building inspector to inspect and certify the compliance of your safety barrier every four years. You'll need to lodge this certificate through Council within 30 days. The lodgement fee is $20.44

Other questions you might ask

Do I need a safety barrier?

Permanent safety barriers are required for all permanent or relocatable pools and spas able to hold a depth of water over 30cm, including:

  • in-ground swimming pools
  • hot tubs and Jacuzzis
  • indoor swimming pools
  • above-ground swimming pools
  • spas
  • inflatable and relocatable pools

Note: A lockable lid is not a compliant safety barrier.

Do I need a building permit to install a safety barrier?

Yes, if you’re installing a swimming pool or spa and a safety barrier you will also need a Building Permit.

New safety barrier laws for pools and spas for Victoria came into effect on 1 December 2019.

Owners now need to register their swimming pools and spas through their local council.

This is a Victorian Government program to help reduce the high number of preventable drownings, by making sure safety barriers meet safety standards.

More information about the new state government laws is available at: