Skip to main content


Owners' Responsibilities

Land owners are required by law to maintain the stormwater pipes, gutters, downpipes, stormwater pits and any other components of their approved stormwater drainage system. They must be kept in good condition and in compliance with any Council requirements. For more information, contact the Victorian Building Authority.

Owners are also required to accept natural overland flow from adjoining properties or public land and must not divert or redirect the flow from its natural path onto neighbouring properties.

A downstream property owner can't erect any type of barrier that interferes with the path of stormwater unless provision is made for the flow to discharge to an approved drainage system. If you are downstream, you must accept the ‘natural’ run-off onto your property.

When constructing hardstand (hard surfaced) areas like driveways, concrete and paved areas, landscaping and any other impervious surfaces or drains, you must control the stormwater to prevent concentrated flows onto the adjacent property.

Legal Point of Stormwater Discharge

There are two ways of connecting to a Legal Point of Stormwater Discharge:

  • Roof and surface water is conveyed in pipes to Council’s stormwater infrastructure.
  • Connection to a Council approved drainage system in accordance with AS/NZS 3500.3.

If neither is available, a stormwater absorption trench or pit may be installed with the approval of Council. You must lodge a Stormwater Discharge Point Application (below), plan and fees with Council for approval, before starting any work.

Note; Stormwater Discharge Point applications must be lodged a minimum of ten business days prior to the date information is required. Applications may take up to 28 days to be completed and issued based on information available and the volume of applications received.

I am building a new home, what should I check with my builder?

If you are building a new home please check with your builder that:

  • Surface and soakage drains have been installed to protect rooms and garages built below ground level;
  • Surface drains and paths are diverting overland stormwater away from the building, especially the building entrances; and
  • Driveways built on the topside of buildings do not concentrate stormwater towards the building. If so, ensure adequate drainage is provided.

These problems are easier to fix before the work has been finished.

What stormwater drainage pipes am I responsible for?

Each property can be or has been allocated with a location to direct their private stormwater drainage. Typically, this location will be to a Council underground drain, to the kerb and channel or an open roadside drain. This discharge location is known as the Legal Point of Discharge/Connection. All drainage issues beyond this point of connection are the responsibility of Council.

All drainage infrastructure related to the drainage of private properties up to the Legal Point of Discharge/Connection is the responsibility of the property owner. It is important that the property owner understands that sections of pipe in the nature strip or road reserve that discharge stormwater to the point of connection to the Council drainage system is property owners responsibility.

The property owner is responsible for ensuring that storm water pipes are connected to the Council nominated Legal Point of Discharge/Connection and that their stormwater runoff does not affect other property owners.

The Council stormwater pit in my street is blocked who do I call?

Blocked storm water drains can be reported to Council's Maintenance Team. Requests can be lodged with Councils Customer Service Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211, or by emailing

The stormwater drainage pipes on my property are blocked. What should I do?

If you suspect there is a blockage in one of your drainage pipes, we recommend you contact a licensed plumber to investigate.

The water suply main at the front of my property has burst who do I contact?

The mains water supply is the responsibility of the local water authority; Westernport Water or South Gippsland Water depending on your property location within Bass Coast Shire.

I have an issue with sewer pipes on my property who do I contact?

Your responsible water authority should be contacted for any issues relating to sewer pipes. The sewer system carries waste water away from your laundry, kitchen, bathroom and toilet to a main sewer that is maintained by either Westernport Water or South Gippsland Water, depending on the location of the property.