Skip to main content

Legal Point of Discharge

Legal Point of Stormwater Discharge

There are two ways of connecting to a Legal Point of Stormwater Discharge:

  • Roof and surface water is conveyed in pipes to Council’s stormwater infrastructure.
  • Connection to a Council approved drainage system in accordance with AS/NZS 3500.3.

If neither is available, a stormwater absorption trench or pit may be installed with the approval of Council. You must lodge a Stormwater Discharge Point Application (below), plan and fees with Council for approval, before starting any work.

Note; Stormwater Discharge Point applications must be lodged a minimum of ten business days prior to the date information is required. Applications may take up to 28 days to be completed and issued based on information available and the volume of applications received.

Where do I connect stormwater from my property if there is no Council drainage system?

It is not uncommon for some older residential areas to not have a direct connection to public storm water drainage system. In these cases, properties most likely drain to soakage pits (otherwise known as rubble pits or soak away) or private drainage lines. The maintenance of soakage pits lies with the property owners they serve.

If there are persistent problems with storm water runoff in your area there are two options for residents to consider:

  • Drainage infrastructure can be installed to service your property through a drainage scheme, where the design and construction of the drainage is fully funded by the property owners it services, and the ongoing maintenance is the responsibility of Council, as the drainage becomes a Council asset.
  • You can construct a private drainage system. Council must approve a private system, but the installation and ongoing maintenance of the system is the responsibility of the property owner.

Any storm water management system should not cause adverse effects to adjoining properties, and consideration should be given to issues such as neighbouring buildings in close proximity to the property boundary and capacity of overland flow paths.

You should contact Council to determine the closest legal point of connection for your stormwater or for further advice relating to a future drainage scheme.

Road Occupation Permits

A Road Occupation Permit is also required for any new connections to Council’s drainage network and for any work within road reserves.

Stormwater must not discharge to the sewer. Penalties may be imposed for a breach of this requirement.