Skip to main content

Building Permits and Plans

Building permits are required for most types of building works.

Building Permits can be obtained through a private Building Surveyor. You can search for your local Building Surveyor or find out when a Building Permit is required on the Victorian Building Authority website.

Any building works that need a Building Permit may also need an Asset Protection Permit (APP) before any work starts.

If you have any questions please contact our Building Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.

Asset Protection Permit

Building works that need a building permit may require an Asset Protection Permit (APP) before any work starts.

Apply for an Asset Protection Permit

Why is an APP required?

APPs reduce the amount of damage being caused to valuable infrastructure assets during building works. These assets include footpaths, nature strips, kerbs and channels and stormwater pits. If damage occurs to Council assets the cost of repairs will be paid for by the offending property owner or principal contractor, not the ratepayers. The APP is also a mechanism to ensure that the property owner or principal contractor is not held liable for pre-existing damage to assets fronting and adjoining the site prior to the commencement of building works.

When should an APP be obtained?

Any building works needing a building permit must obtain APP prior to the works starting.

What do I need to pay?

The current Application fee is $235.00.

A Security Bond of between $1000 and $5000 is required to be paid, subject to the location and scope of the building works. This will be determined during the online application.

What happens after the building works are completed?

You can update your application online to 'Works Completed' or call Council's Asset Protection Officer on 1300 BCOAST (266 278) or (03) 5671 2211 or email This will trigger an inspection by Council's Asset Protection Officer to determine if any damage has occurred to Council assets during the building works.

Where assets have been protected or restored to Council’s satisfaction the Security Bond (if applicable) will be refunded in full.

What happens if damage is caused during the building works?

All damage occurring during the building works is to be reinstated to Council’s satisfaction at the permit holder’s expense within 14 days.

Should the permit holder fail to complete the reinstatement work within the time specified, Council may undertake the necessary works and recover the costs from the bond or permit holder.

What are the consequences if an APP is not applied for?

The property owner or his agent may be liable for:

Are there any exemptions?

If the building works are of a minor nature and will not impact on Council assets, an application in writing to Council’s Asset Protection Officer for an exemption for an APP must be made before any building works are started.

For further information please contact Council’s Asset Protection Officer on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211 or email

Swimming Pools and Spas

A building permit is needed to install a swimming pool or spa, and in some cases you may need also need a planning permit. Safety barriers such as fences and gates must meet the Building Code of Australia as a safety barrier.

All swimming pools and spas capable of containing a depth of water exceeding 300mm (30cm) must have suitable child resistant safety barriers.

More information on pool safety barriers is available on the Victorian Building Authority website.


The demolition or removal of dwellings, sheds and structures from your property may require a Building Permit. You may also require a Demolition Form A which is available below.

For more information or assistance, please contact our Process Officers on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.

Building over an easement

What is an easement?

An easement is a defined area of land registered on a land title that gives Council, or other authorities, access rights through your property. Typically they are used for the maintenance, installation, replacement or upgrades of essential drainage infrastructure.

What consent is required?

If you are proposing to build a structure (for example a fence, shed, garage, pergola, dwelling, office, shop or factory) over an easement, you may be required to make an application to Council under Regulation 130 of the Building Regulations 2018 for 'Building Works within an Easement'.

Easement locations are typically shown on your title plan along with what service authorities have a vested interest in the easement, for example this can include drainage, sewerage and/or electricity. The consent of Council is required if your proposed build will encroach over any part of that easement which Council has set aside for drainage. If the easement does not relate to drainage and Council do not have a vested interested, consent may only be required from the relevant service authority. For example this could include Westernport Water or South Gippsland Water who have a vested interest is sewage assets, where this is the case you will need to contact that authority for consent. If the easement includes multiple service authority assets it is possible that multiple consents need to be obtained.

Section 173

Should consent be granted to build over an easement it is possible that a Section 173 will be required, this will mean that changes are to be made to your certificate of title allowing consent for Council to access that easement should works be required. Legal advice is advisable in this instance.

For more information or assistance, please contact us on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.

Report & Consent

When a design for a single Class 1 building (dwelling) and associated Class 10 buildings (fences, carport, garages sheds or the like) does not comply with the requirements of Part 5 of the Building Regulations 2018 (ResCode), an application for Report and Consent may be required. Application is also required for a Protection of the Public consent and building in a designated flood prone area.

Please discuss with the relevant building surveyor engaged for the issue of the building permit prior to making an application.

If your design does not meet the conditions set out in the relevant building regulation you must make application and make reference to the Minister’s guideline.

Neighbours comments may also need to be obtained, Council can contact the neighbouring property owners as part of the application process or you can provide the information when lodging the forms.

For more information or assistance, please contact us on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.

Victorian Building Authority - Report and Consent Practice Note

Victorian Building Authority - Ministers Guidelines

Property Enquiries (Regulation 51)

You can request information about a property including building permit details for the last 10 years; flood prone areas, bushfire prone area, termite prone area; and inspection approval dates of the mandatory notification stages for building work. Fees apply for these searches.

If you have any questions please contact our Building Services team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211.

Copies of House and Building Plans

House and Building Plans

Copies of house or building plans may be available on request. Note that plans can only be released to the owner, or a person with the owner's consent.

Searches will generally be processed within 30 days of your application and a fee will apply. Please be aware that the fee covers a search only and due to the age of some documentation and previous practices we cannot guarantee information or results. A partial refund may apply if the search is unsuccessful.