Skip to main content

Asset Protection Permit

An Asset Protection Permit (APP) may be required before any building works that require a building permit starts.

Apply for an Asset Protection Permit

Why is an APP required?

APPs reduce the amount of damage being caused to valuable infrastructure assets during building works. These assets include footpaths, nature strips, kerbs and channels and stormwater pits. If damage occurs to Council assets the cost of repairs will be paid for by the offending property owner or principal contractor, not the ratepayers. The APP is also a mechanism to ensure that the property owner or principal contractor is not held liable for pre-existing damage to assets fronting and adjoining the site prior to the commencement of building works.

When should an APP be obtained?

Any building works needing a building permit must obtain APP prior to the works starting.

What do I need to pay?

The current Application fee is $235.00.

A Security Bond of between $1000 and $5000 is required to be paid, subject to the location and scope of the building works. This will be determined during the online application.

What happens after the building works are completed?

You can update your application online to 'Works Completed' or call Council's Asset Protection Officer on 1300 BCOAST (266 278) or (03) 5671 2211 or email This will trigger an inspection by Council's Asset Protection Officer to determine if any damage has occurred to Council assets during the building works.

Where assets have been protected or restored to Council’s satisfaction the Security Bond (if applicable) will be refunded in full.

What happens if damage is caused during the building works?

All damage occurring during the building works is to be reinstated to Council’s satisfaction at the permit holder’s expense within 14 days.

Should the permit holder fail to complete the reinstatement work within the time specified, Council may undertake the necessary works and recover the costs from the bond or permit holder.

What are the consequences if an APP is not applied for?

The property owner or his agent may be liable for:

Are there any exemptions?

If the building works are of a minor nature and will not impact on Council assets, an application in writing to Council’s Asset Protection Officer for an exemption for an APP must be made before any building works are started.

For further information please contact Council’s Asset Protection Officer on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) or (03) 5671 2211 or email