Skip to main content
Project kicks back into action

Project kicks back into action

Published:
Friday 22 February 2019

Construction on the home change rooms and outdoor netball courts at the Cowes Recreation Reserve is continuing, despite facing challenges.

The project was prioritised as a part of Council’s 2018-19 renewal program, due to the condition of the existing facilities.

The netball court project also gained the support of Sport and Recreation Victoria after a successful grant application by Bass Coast Shire Council through the Country Football and Netball program.

The $1 million project will see the existing home and away football change rooms fully renovated, including new showers, toilets, first aid and meeting rooms and an increased area for player changing. The project will also provide two realigned, compliant courts with Australian standard lighting for training.

The project is in addition to works carried out in 2018, which included the construction of a new pavilion housing home and away netball change rooms, football umpire change rooms, away football change room and an accessible toilet. This Project was undertaken in partnership with the Phillip Island Football Netball Club at a value of over $500,000.

“Once the project is complete, the Phillip Island sporting community will have fantastic facilities to enjoy for many years to come.”
Cr Brett Tessari, Mayor

The skate park at the recreation reserve is also readying for a $500,000 upgrade, with final designs completed and the award of the contractor imminent.

Bass Coast Mayor, Cr Brett Tessari said Council is determined to provide the best facilities for the local sporting community.

“The ageing facilities at the Cowes Recreation Reserve were no longer meeting the needs of users,” Cr Tessari said.

“As the Phillip Island community continues to grow, we will continue to see increased participation in sport.

“Once the project is complete, the Phillip Island sporting community will have fantastic facilities to enjoy for many years to come.”

When work on the change room project began in January, the contractor discovered structural issues that needed to be addressed. While these issues did cause an unforeseen delay, Council will continue to work with the football club to determine alternatives for the start of the playing season.

Construction of the netball courts was also delayed, after the site was found to be contaminated with asbestos during demolition. Preliminary soil tests were carried out, however at the time they did not reveal any contamination.

Since then, appropriate safety measures have been put in place while the contamination is removed and correctly disposed of.

Council is working closely with the contractor to ensure the project moves ahead and with the netball club to help them find alternative training and playing locations.

President of the Phillip Island Football Netball Club Chris Ross said while the club was frustrated by the delays, he was pleased to see the project progressing.

Council, the contractor and the Football Netball Club will continue to work together to ensure the best outcomes, with the aim of having the facilities available by mid-season.

Cowes Recreation Reserve PIFNC Change Room works
Bass Coast Shire Council Mayor, Cr Brett Tessari and President of the Phillip Island Football Netball Club Chris Ross, inspecting the works in the change rooms