Public Health

Food Premises & Food Safety

Our Environmental Health Team is responsible for the registration and surveillance of food premises and food vehicles in the Shire. They check that the premises and vehicles in which food is prepared, stored, transported or sold complies with standards that ensure the food is safe, of high quality and free from contamination and adulteration.

They also investigate consumer complaints concerning contaminated foods, unclean premises or vehicles, or unsatisfactory food handling practices.

I have purchased food that I think is contaminated or suspicious - what should I do?

Place the food in a plastic bag, freeze it and contact a health officer as soon as possible on 1300 BCOAST (226 278).

I want to sell food, what do I need to do?

All outlets that sell food, including stalls organised by community groups for fundraising, must have their food selling operation classed into one of several food premises risk classifications. This is a requirement under the State Government's Food Act 1984. Please contact us for further information about how to classify your food selling operation.

Setting up a food business?

These step-by-step guides will give you personalised information on what you will have to do to start or expand your business. All guides provide you with a handy checklist to help you complete tasks.

Setting up a Business From Home
How to Get Planning and Building Permits
Getting a Food Business Registered
Trading on the footpath

Food Safety Program

A Food Safety Program is a legal requirement for all restaurants and other food selling operations. Information about food safety programs and program templates are available from Food Safety Victoria.

Need to know more?

Advice and guidance is also available by contacting our Environmental Health Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278).

Text size