Business Planning

The right planning can increase your awareness of your market, help you understand your financial needs and make sure you stay competitive while building your skills and resources.

Use these Step by Step guides, provided by Business Victoria, to develop personalised checklists when planning for your business.

Business Permits

Permits are required for the following business activities:

Home-based business

A permit may be required to operate a home-based business. Always check with our Statutory Planning Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) before starting a business at home.

Advertising Signs

Advertising signs may require a permit. Please contact our Statutory Planning Team on 1300 BCOAST (226 278) before ordering or erecting signage.

Accommodation Businesses

If you are setting up an accommodation business you will need to apply for a permit.

Footpath Trading Permits

A permit is required for all trading on community footpaths including; advertising signs, goods, tables and chairs, windbreaks, umbrellas, and heaters.

Hairdressing, tattooing, beauty therapy, ear piercing and electrolysis

All new hairdressing, skin penetration, tattooing, beauty therapy, electrolysis and ear piercing businesses must register before operating.

Food premises

All Victorian food business that handle, prepare, package, store, serve, supply or convey food must be registered with Council.

Be an employer making a difference!

Are you looking to take advantage of the untapped workforce - people with disability?

Making Your Business More Accessible

A guide for businesses on how to attract more customers

Text size